PATH 427 Basic Principles of Infection Prevention and Control (3 credits)
**This course is 20 weeks in length and extends beyond the regular UBC semester. If this is a concern for financial loans or other deadlines (i.e. graduation) you should not take this course. No exceptions or provisions are made for early completion of the course.**
PATH427 is designed as an introduction course to the principles of infection prevention and control, surveillance techniques, outbreak investigation and management as other topics pertinent to long-term care, paediatric and community infection control. The course is delivered asynchronously online in a problem-based learning format. The course content includes, but is not limited to:
- Introduction to the course/understanding the infection control structure
- Infection control precautions
- Nosocomial infections and their surveillance/outbreak investigation
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Infection control in specialized care areas
- Paediatric issues in infection control
- Device-related and blood-borne infections
- Infection control and long-term care
- Community and ambulatory care issues in infection control
Students who complete the course will gain knowledge in:
- The fundamental principles of body substance precautions, standard precautions, isolation requirements and appropriate barrier protection;
- Recognition of common communicable diseases and their management;
- Use of best evidence to support practice decisions;
- The approach to outbreak identification, investigation and management;
- Research skills in the area of online searches;
- Experience with the use of case-based learning to direct individual learning.
Students will be assessed on their participation in the interactive group learning process, the midterm and the final exam. Assessment breakdown:
- Participation = 30%
- Midterm exam = 30%
- Final exam = 40%
The required and optional textbooks will be available as a course resource through the UBC Library and links will be included within the Canvas course site.
- Ebbing Lautenback, Malani, Preeti; Woeltje, Keith F.; Han, Jennifer H.; Shuman, Emily K. and Marschall, Jonas, Editors. Practical Healthcare Epidemiology, 4th Edition. University of Chicago Press, 2018. ISBN: 9781107153165
- Heymann, D. Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, 21st ed., 2022. Am. Public Health Assoc., Wash. D.C.
- Red Book, 2021-2024 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases, 32nd Ed., American Academy of Pediatrics, 2021. ISBN: 9781610025218
Instructor permission required.
PATH 427 is a 20-week course offered January through May, which is beyond the regular UBC semester. No exceptions or provisions will be made for early completion of the course.
This is an online course. Click here for more information about Canvas.
The course outline is subject to change. The official outline for this course can be found within the course site.