Ko, Yen Chen Kevin
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, UBC, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Biological and Medical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, UBC, Staff Pathologist, Vancouver General Hospital
Vancouver General Hospital
Dr. Ko is a dual-degree pathologist. He received his Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree from the University of British Columbia and his medical degree (MD) from Columbia University. He then went on to complete a residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology at New-York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, a residency in anatomic pathology at Stanford University, and a fellowship in dermatopathology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. He holds active dental and medical licenses in the United States and British Columbia. Dr. Ko is board certified in anatomic pathology, dermatopathology, and oral and maxillofacial pathology. He specializes in the classification and study of disorders related to the oral cavity and holds a special interest in inflammatory and neoplastic conditions of skin and head and neck.
- DMD, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. 2011
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA. 2015
- Residency, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Columbia University, New York, USA. 2016
- Residency, Anatomic Pathology, Stanford University, Stanford, USA. 2019
- Fellowship, Dermatopathology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA. 2020
Licenses & certifications
- Certificate, Anatomical Pathology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 2020
- Diploma, Dermatopathology, American Boards of Dermatology and Pathology, 2020
- Diploma, Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology, 2019
- Diploma, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Awards and Recognition
Primary areas of research: Oral inflammatory conditions, classification of odontogenic tumors, oral cancer.
Other Areas of Research: Skin conditions.
Current Projects In My Lab Include
Teaching the anatomic pathology residents, oral pathology residents, and dental general practice residency residents.