Dr. Hilary Vallance is a Medical Biochemist / Biochemical Geneticist at BC Children’s Hospital who obtained her MD from the University of British Columbia (UBC). She completed a residency in Medical Biochemistry at UBC followed by fellowship training in Biochemical Genetics. She is the Director of the BC Newborn Screening Program. Her research contributions have been in the area of inborn errors of metabolism, maternal and infant B12 deficiency and newborn screening for treatable conditions.
- FCCMG, University of British Columbia, Biochemical Genetics. 1996
- FRCPC, University of British Columbia, Medical Biochemistry. 1993
- MD, University of British Columbia, Medicine. 1987
- Cell Biology, University of British Columbia. 1983
Awards and Recognition
- Excellence in Mentoring award, Dept of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine – 2018
- Dr. Parminder Singh Award, British Columbia Pediatric Society – 2011
- Prevalence and natural history of a common variant in the Carnitine Palmitoyl transferase Ia gene in BC and Northern aboriginal populations.
- Maternal and Infant B12 deficiency.
Current Projects In My Lab Include
- Teaching and Learning: She has served on the CCMG Board of Directors, Chair – CCMG Exam advisory committee (2017-2022) and membership on the following: Accreditation, Biochemical Genetics and Training committees.