MD, DTM&H (London), D(ABMM), FRCPC
Honorary Adjunct Professor, UBC
Sultan Qaboos University, Sultanate of Oman
- Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CIC), USA, 2010
- UBC Certificate in Laboratory Quality Management, University of British Columbia, 2009
- UBC Certificate in Infection Prevention and Control, University of British Columbia, 2009
- Diploma of The American College of Microbiology, D (ABMM), 2008
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC – Medical Microbiology), 2007
- UBC Residency Certificate (Medical Microbiology), Dept of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2007
- Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H), London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK, 2002
- MD, College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman, 1999
- BSc (Health Sciences), College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman, 1996
Awards and Recognition
Primary Area of Research
- Evidence to Innovation
- C. difficile infection in children particularly oncology
- Candidemia in children
- Fungal infection in immunocompromised hosts
My current research is focused on Clostridium difficile infection in children with cancer. Clostridium difficile is a common bacterium in the human gut that usually does not cause infection but in certain circumstances can cause diarrhea. It is significant because it can easily spread from patient to patient in hospitals if infection prevention measures and environmental cleaning practices are suboptimal. We have noted that a higher proportion of oncology patients have this infection compared to other hospitalized patients. We aim to determine whether patients get the infection in hospital or if they come to the hospital with it. This information will help us understand the true burden of C. difficile infection in oncology and improve the quality of care provided to these patients..
Current Projects In My Lab Include
- Interested in teaching all areas in Microbiology.
- Special interest in Infection Prevention & Control, Bacteriology, Mycology, Tropical Medicine, and Laboratory Quality Management.