Clinical Instructor, UBC, Staff Pathologist, Royal Inland Hospital
Royal Inland Hospital
Since 1998, I have worked as a general pathologist at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops, BC and have been very fortunate to practice all disciplines of laboratory medicine over the years. My practice now primarily focuses on hematopathology, including autoimmune testing, and medical biochemistry. For over eleven years, I served as both Department Head of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Royal Inland Hospital and also as the Area Medical Director of Thompson Cariboo Shuswap Labs in the Interior Health Laboratory System.
- FRCP(C) General Pathology. 1998
- American Board of Pathology Certification (Anatomical and Clinical Pathology). 1998
- MD, University of British Columbia. 1992
- BSc (Cell Biology), University of British Columbia. 1988
Awards and Recognition
- Interior Health Long Term Service Award – 20 years (2018)
- University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Departmental Award 2022: Excellence in Clinical Service – Clinical Service in Other Settings (Community and Rural).
- G.K. James, K.W. Berean, A.G. Nagy, D.A. Owen. Inverted Meckel’s Diverticulum: an entity simulating an ileal polyp. The American Journal of Gastroenterology 93(9):1554-1555. Sep 1998
- Gerald K. James, Doug Horsman, Joseph M. Connors, Richard Klasa, Ken Wilson,Larry Argatoff, Randy D. Gascoyne. Clinicopathological analysis of follicular lymphoma with a polyploid karyotype. Leukemia and Lymphoma: 28(3-4):383-9. Jan 1998
- Gerald K. James, Michael W. Jones, Morris R. Pudek. Homocyst(e)ine levels in patients on phenytoin therapy. Clin Biochem. 1997 Dec;30(8):647-9.
- Gerald K. James, Morris Pudek, Kenneth W.Berean, Eleftherios P. Diamandis, Betty Lou Archibald. Salivary duct carcinoma secreting prostate-specific antigen. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 106(2):242-247. 1996
- Campbell M. Clark, Lili Kopala, Gerald James, Trevor Hurwitz and David Li. Metabolic subtypes in patients with schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry 1993; 33:86-92.
- Campbell M. Clark, Gerald James, David Li, Joel Oger, Donald Paty and Harry Klonoff. Ventricular size, cognitive function and depression in patients with multiple sclerosis. The Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 19:352-356. 1992
- G.K. James, D.K. Kalousek and N. Auersperg. Karyotypic analysis of two related cervical carcinoma cell lines that contain human papillomavirus type 18 DNA and express divergent differentiation. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics 38:53-60. Mar 1989
- Michelle Wong, Richard Cleve, Sonja Turnbull, Michael Nimmo, Sophia Wong, Carmen Phoon, Lorraine Romanin, Gerald James. A Multi-Site Inter-Regional Utilization Management and Quality Initiative for Autoimmune Testing. International Society of Laboratory Hematology (Vancouver, Canada, May 2019)
Current Projects In My Lab Include
I teach UBC medical students and residents based at Royal Inland Hospital in the UBC Southern Medical Program. I also have a very keen interest in teaching medical laboratory technologists (MLT) and MLT practicum students from The British Columbia Institute of Technology and the College of New Caledonia.