Clinical Professor , Division Head, Clinical Chemistry, St. Paul’s Hospital
St. Paul’s Hospital
Daniel Holmes did his undergraduate training in Chemistry and Physics at the University of Toronto before deciding to pursue medicine as a career. He attended medical school at the University of British Columbia where pathology became his area of major interest. The strong influence of his academic mentors led him to enter the Medical Biochemistry residency training program at UBC. This allowed him to use his background knowledge of chemistry in application to medicine. Areas of clinical interest are diagnostic lipidology/endocrinology and research interests are in the utilization of mathematics and computer diagnostics to laboratory medicine.
- BSc (Graduated with High Distinction), Chemical Physics, University of Toronto. 1994
- MD University of British Columbia. 2001
- Medical Biochemistry Residency Training Program, University of British Columbia. 2006
Awards and Recognition
- Van Der Gugten JG, Dubland J, Liu HF, Wang A, Joseph C, Holmes DT. Determination of serum aldosterone by liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry: a liquid-liquid extraction method for the ABSCIEX API-5000 mass spectrometry system. J Clin Pathol. 2012 Mar 12.
- Mason DR, Reid JD, Camenzind AG, Holmes DT, Borchers CH. Duplexed iMALDI for the detection of angiotensin I and angiotensin II. Methods. 2012 Feb;56(2):213-22.
- Verma S, Gupta M, Holmes DT, Xu L, Teoh H, Gupta S, Yusuf S, Lonn EM. Plasma renin activity predicts cardiovascular mortality in the Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation (HOPE) study. Eur Heart J. 2011 Sep;32(17):2135-42.
- Chiarelli G, Beaulieu M, Taylor P, Levin A, Holmes DT. Elimination of BNP by peritoneal dialysis: investigation of analytical issues. Perit Dial Int. 2011 Mar-Apr;31(2):199-202.
- Reid JD, Holmes DT, Mason DR, Shah B, Borchers CH. Towards the development of an immuno MALDI (iMALDI) mass spectrometry assay for the diagnosis of hypertension. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom. 2010 Oct;21(10):1680-6.
- Klinke JA, Shapira SC, Akbari E, Holmes DT. Quetiapine-associated cholestasis causing lipoprotein-X and pseudohyponatraemia. J Clin Pathol. 2010 Aug;63(8):741-3.
- Hung T, Dewitt CR, Martz W, Schreiber W, Holmes DT. Fomepizole fails to prevent progression of acidosis in 2-butoxyethanol and ethanol coingestion. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2010 Jul;48(6):569-71.
- Zimmerman AC, Buhr KA, Lear SA, Holmes DT. Age-dependent reference intervals for measured bioavailable testosterone on the Siemens Advia Centaur: ethnicity-specific values not necessary for South Asians. Clin Biochem. 2009 Jun;42(9):922-5.
- Lim JP, Irvine R, Bugis S, Holmes D, Wiseman SM. Intact parathyroid hormone measurement 1 hour after thyroid surgery identifies individuals at high risk for the development of symptomatic hypocalcemia. Am J Surg. 2009 May;197(5):648-53; discussion 653-4.
- Al Riyami N, Zimmerman AC, Rosenberg FM, Holmes DT. Spurious hyperbilirubinemia caused by naproxen. Clin Biochem. 2009 Jan;42(1-2):129-31.
- Clinical lipidology and endocrinology
- Laboratory:Mass spectrometry, Statistics in Medicine
- Mathematical modeling in medicine
- Toxicology, Method Development
- Clinical: Hypertension, Endocrinology, Renal
Current Projects In My Lab Include
- Co-site director; Counselor for resident involvement in research projects;