Decided to go to medical school and graduated from Julius-Maximilians-University, Wuerzburg, Germany in 1986; an interim followed to work as general practitioner for the US Army Europe until 1992 in Bamberg, Germany; then residency in anatomical/clinical pathology at Rush-Presbyterian-St.Luke’s Medical Center until 1997, to be followed by 2 years of pediatric pathology fellowship at Children’s Memorial Hospital until June 1999 with Dr. Frank Gonzalez-Crussi, both in Chicago, Illinois, USA; then interim at The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, Manchester, England until June 2003; since August 2003 employed here in Vancouver B.C. at Childrens’ and Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia as Pediatric Pathologist.
- MD, Julius-Maximilians-Universität, Würzburg, Bavaria, Federal Republic of Germany. 1980-1986
- AP/CP residency, Rush- Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA. 1992-1997
- Pediatric pathology fellowship, Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA. 1997-1999
- Pediatric pathology fellowship, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 1999-2001
Awards and Recognition
- Lehman A, Stittrich AB, Glusman G, Zong Z, Li H, Eydoux P, Senger C, Lyons C, Roach JC, Patel M. Diffuse angiopathy in Adams-Oliver syndrome associated with truncating DOCK6 mutations. Am J Med Genet A. 2014 Oct;164A(10):2656-62.
- Cohen As, Townsend KN, Xang QS, Attariwala R, Bourchers C, Senger C, Picker W, Levi J, Ywechuck L, Tan J, Eydoux P, Lum A, Young SL, Mckinnon ML, Lear SA, Everett R, Jones SJ, Yip S, Gibson WT, Somatic mosaicism for the p.His1047Arg mutation in PIK3CA in a girl with mesenteric lipomatosis. Am J Med Genet A. 2014 Sep;164A(9):2360-4.
- Sharma AA, Jen R, Brant R, Ladd M, Huang Q, Skoll A, Senger C, Turvey Se, Marr N, Lavoie PM. Hierarchical maturation o finnate immune defences in very preterm neonates. Neonatology. 2014; 106(1):1-9. doi: 10.1159/000358550. Epub 2014 Mar 6.
- Mckinnon ML, Rozmus J, Fung SY, Hirschfeld AF, Del Bel KL, Thomas L, Marr N, Martin SD, Marwaha AK, Priatel JJ, Tan R, Senger C, Tsang A, Prendiville J, Junker AK, Seear M, Schultz KR, Sly LM, Holt RA, Patel MS, Friedman JM, Turvey SE. Combined immunodeficiency associated with homozygous MALT1 mutations. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 May; 133(5): 1458-62, 1432.e1-7 doi:10.1016éj.jaci.2013.10.045. Epub 2013 Dec 12.
- Tsang HH, Dolman PJ, Courtemanche DJ, Rassekh SR, Senger C, Lyons CJ. Prenatal Presentation of Fronto-orbital Congenital Infantile Fibrosarcoma: A Clinicopathologic Report. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jul 1;131(7):965-7.
- Turvey SE, Leo SH, Boos A, Deans GD, Prendiville J, Crawford RI, Senger C, Conley ME, Tilley P, Junker A, Janz L, Azana R, Hoang L, Morton TL. Successful approach to treatment of Helicobacter bilis infection in X-linked agammaglobulinemia.J Clin Immunol. 2012 Dec;32(6):1404-8.
- Gesundheit B, Parkin P, Greenberg M, Baruchel S, Senger C, Kapelushnik J, Smith C, Klement GL. The role of angiogenesis in the transformation of plexiform neurofibroma into malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors in children with neurofibromatosis type 1. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2010 Oct;32(7):548-53.
- Gesundheit B, Klement G, Senger C, Kerbel R, Kieran M, Baruchel S, Becker L. Differences in vasculature between pilocytic and anaplastic astrocytomas of childhood. Med Pediatr Oncol. 2003 Dec;41(6):516-26.
- Charoenkwan P, Senger C, Weitzman S, Sexsmith E, Sherman CG, Malkin D, Thorner PS. Significance of p53 expression in immature teratomas. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2002 Sep-Oct;5(5):499-507.
- Placental pathology
- Pediatric renal neoplasms
- Bone/soft tisue pathology
I am interested in exploring whether certain functional placental structures and their location and timing of development are factors in normal pregnancy outcome. Conversely, I am also interested in identifying specific placental development factors that are associated with poor pregnancy outcomes or long term health problems.