PhD, MD, FRCPC
Royal Columbian Hospital
Dr Arun Kumar Garg is a Consultant Medical Biochemistry at Fraser Health‘s Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology. His interest and extensive experience allows him to have global practice and engagement. He has served as Program Medical Director for Fraser Health Regional Department of Laboratory Medicine for 20 years and Division Head of Medical Biochemistry for over 30 years. He is also Clinical Professor of Pathology in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia (www.ubc.ca/pathology) and Director of the Cooperation and Engagement of the office of Global medicine. Adjunct Professor of Clinical Services in the Faculty of Health Science at Simon Fraser University.
He holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry from the Univ of Saskatchewan, Doctor of Medicine from the University of British Columbia, Fellowship in Medical Biochemistry from Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. And a Fellow of the American College of Pathologist.
Founded Canada India Network Society ( www.thecins.org; twitter/thecins; facebook ) in 2010, to build strong links between Canada and India in Life Sciences and Health services. . He holds the position of Program Medical Director for South Asian Health Institute in Fraser Health (www.fraserhealth.ca/sahi;).
He has been active in many voluntary organizations over last 45 years including as President of Doctors of BC (1993-94) and many senior leadership positions in academic (BCIT,SFU,UBC) and professional institutes.(CMA, BCMA, Inst of Health Care Transformation and Sustainability, CAPIH, GAPIO, PISA etc) and business organizations ( BC Biomedical laboratories Ltd, DG Enterprises Ltd)
He has been recognized and awarded numerous honors, awards. Hon Doctor of Technology by BC, Inst of technology , first foundational recipient of Dr Don Rix Gold medal for life time contribution as leader by the Doctors of BC in 2013, life time leadership award from Cand Assoc of Physicians of Indian heritage, and Community award of health care leadership award from Dhristi magazine.
- BSc, Agra University, India, Biology. 1962
- MSc, Agra University, India, Organic Chemistry. 1964
- MSc, University of Saskatchewan, Biochemistry. 1968
- PhD, University of Saskatchewan, Biochemistry. 1970
- MD, University of British Columbia. 1977
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC). 1980
Awards and Recognition
Don Rix Gold Medal Leadership Award,British Columbia Medical Association Awarded. 2011
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: A call for Increased Awareness in the Asian Indian Population: A review article Sophia Wong and Arun K garg Austin J Clin Path 1,(20) 2014, p9.
- Relationship of Sodium and Magnesium intakes to hypertension proven by 24 hour urinalysis in a South Indian population : Natesh Chidambaram,S Sethpathy,N Saravanan,Mari Mori,Yukio Yamori,Arun K Garg, Arun Chockalingam ;The J of Clinical Hypertension DOI 10.1111/jch.12361. 2014
- Evaluating a Diabetes Self Management Support Peer Lead Training Program For the English and Punjabi Speaking South Asian Community in Vancouver, T. S. Tang, P. S. Sohal, A. K. Garg, Ahmad Al-Saraf, Chiman Chow; Diabetes Medicine D0110:1111/DMC 12179, July 2013.
- Ahmad Al-Saraf, Chiman Chow, Arun K. Garg, Care Report; Bisalbuminemia Detected by Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Clinical Biochemistry, 43 (2013) 534.
- The Determination of Urinary Free and Conjugated Cortisol using UPLC-MS/MS; Dong Sheng Ming, John Heathcote, Arun Garg; Bioanalysis (2011) 3 (3), 301-312.
- Clinical Biochemistry of Feto-Placental Unit
- Endocrine/Metabolic Investigation
- Laboratory Utilization Protocols
- Public Policy Development on Health Care
- Technology Evaluation, Utilization Management; Point of care Testing
Current Projects In My Lab Include
- Overseas the BC Bio / Royal Columbian Hospital Rotations