- Associate Head Department of Pathology and Laboratory MedicineBC, Children’s Hospital, Vancouver
- Director BC Children’s Hospital BioBank, BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver
- Hematopathologist, BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver
Dr. Suzanne Vercauteren is a hematological pathologist at BC Children’s Hospital, who obtained her MD and PhD at the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. She did her residency in hematological pathology at the University of British Columbia. She is the Director of BC Children’s Hospital BioBank as well as the Chair of the Childhood Cancer and Blood Research BioBank at BC Children’s Hospital. She participated in a “Permission to Contact” study with Dr. Peter Watson and is interested in increasing engagement and participation of pediatric patients in research studies.
- Certification in Hematological Pathology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. 2008
- Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part I, Medical Council of Canada. 2002
- Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exam, Medical Council of Canada. 2001
- PhD, University of Utrecht. 2003
- MD, University of Utrecht. 1999
- MSc, University of Utrecht. 1997
- BSc, University of Utrecht. 1977
- Ubaka Ogbogu, Sarah Burningham, Adam Ollenberger, Kathryn Calder, Li Du, Khaled El Emam, Robyn Hyde-Lay, Rosario Isasi, Yann Joly, Ian Kerr, Bradley Malin, Michael McDonald, Steven Penney, Gayle Piat, Denis-Claude Roy, Jeremy Sugarman, Suzanne Vercauteren, Griet Verhenneman, Lori West and Timothy Caulfield: Policy recommendations for addressing privacy challenges associated with cell-based research and interventions, BMC Med Ethics. Feb 3;15:7, 2014.
- Crystal D. Karakochuk, Kyly C. Whitfield, Susan I. Barr, Yvonne Lamers, Angela M. Devlin, Suzanne M. Vercauteren, Hou Kroeun, Aminuzzaman Talukder, Judy McLean, Timothy J. Green:Genetic hemoglobin disorders rather than iron deficiency are a major predictor of hemoglobin concentration in women of reproductive age in rural Cambodia, submitted.
Li S, Vercauteren S: Nodular sclerosis Hodgkin lymphoma with classic Reed-Sternberg cells. Blood, in press. 2014
- Crystal D. Karakochuk, Kyly C. Whitfield, Susan I. Barr, Suzanne M. Vercauteren, Hou Kroeun, Judy McLean, Timothy J. Green,: A method-comparison study of a hemoglobinometer and a hematology analyzer to measure hemoglobin concentration among women with hemoglobin E structural variants in Cambodia, submitted. 2014
- Tamsin E. Tarling, Caron Strahlendorf, Kirk R. Schultz, Ruth Milner, and Suzanne M. Vercauteren: Verbal permission to obtain clinically urgent biospecimens for a pediatric BioBank, submitted. 2014
- Stefanie Cheah, Sheila O’Donoghue, Helena Daudt, Simon Dee, Jodi LeBlanc, Rebecca Barnes, Suzanne Vercauteren, Robert Boone, and Peter H.Watson: Permission to Contact (PTC) – A strategy to enhance patient engagement in translational research. Biopreservation and Biobanking Aug 11 (4):245-252, 2013.
- Dmitrienko S, Vercauteren S: Auer rods in mature granulocytes of a patient with mixed lineage leukemia. Blood. 2012 May 10; 119(19):4348.
- Suzanne M. Vercauteren, Daniel T. Starczynowski, Sandy Sung, Kelly McNeil, Chris Salski, Clara-Lynn Jensen, Helene Bruyere, Wan L. Lam and Aly Karsan. T cells of patients with myelodysplastic syndrome are frequently derived from the malignant clone. British Journal of Haematology Volume 156, Issue 3, February 2012, Pages: 409-412.
- Vawda A, Davis J, Vercauteren S. Leukemic transformation of anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. Blood. 2011 Oct 6;118(14):3763.
- Suzanne Vercauteren, Sandy Sung, Daniel T. Starczynowski, Wan L. Lam, Helene Bruyere, Douglas E. Horsman, Peter Tsang, Heather Leitch and Aly Karsan. Array comparative genomic hybridization of peripheral blood granulocytes of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes detects karyotypic abnormalities. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol 134(1), p.119-26, 2010
- Starczynowski DT, Vercauteren S, Sung S, Brooks-Wilson A, Lam WL, Karsan A. Copy number alterations at polymorphic loci may be acquired somatically in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Leuk Res. 2010 Aug 27.
- Blood Research