Dr. Kleinman is an internationally recognized expert in the field of blood safety.
Since 1996, he has been president of a transfusion medicine consulting company (Kleinman Biomedical Research) located in Victoria, BC whose clients include numerous blood collection organizations, government, and industry in both the US and Canada. He is also Clinical Professor of Pathology at U. British Columbia. He has published over 100 peer reviewed scientific articles and 18 book chapters and has co-edited a textbook in Transfusion Medicine. He has chaired the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) Committee on Transfusion Transmitted Disease, the AABB Interagency Task Force on Bacterial Contamination of Platelets and the Consensus Panel of the 2004 Canadian Consensus Conference on TRALI.
- Fellow, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA (Section on Blood Banking, Department of Clinical Pathology). 1981-1982
- Chief Resident, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA (Clinical Pathology). 1980-1981
- Resident, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA (Pathology). 1977-1980
- MD, University of California at San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA. 1976
- BSc, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, Biology. 1972
- American Board of Pathology Certification in Blood Banking. 1982
- American Board of Pathology Certification in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology. 1981
- Medical License: State of California. 1978
Awards and Recognition
- Owen Thomas Award, California Blood Bank Society. 2008
- President’s Award, Society for the Advancement of Blood Management. 2005
- Taft Schreiber Memorial Lectureship, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA. 2004
- Carrick DM, Norris PJ, Endres RO, Pandey S, Kleinman SH, Wright D, Sun Y, Busch MP. Establishing assay cutoffs for HLA antibody screening of apheresis donors. Transfusion. 2011 Feb 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.03048.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lee TH, Kleinman SH, Wen L, Montalvo L, Todd DS, Wright DJ, Tobler LH, Busch MP; NHLBI Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II (REDS-II). Distribution of parvovirus B19 DNA in blood compartments and persistence of virus in blood donors. Transfusion. 2011 Feb 8. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.03035.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Klein HG, Dodd RY, Hollinger FB, Katz LM, Kleinman S, McCleary KK, Silverman RH, Stramer SL; for the AABB Interorganizational Task Force on XMRV. Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) and blood transfusion: report of the AABB interorganizational XMRV task force. Transfusion. 2011 Jan 14. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.03012.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rios JA, Schlumpf KS, Kakaiya RM, Triulzi DJ, Roback JD, Kleinman SH, Murphy EL, Gottschall JL, Carey PM. Blood donations from previously transfused or pregnant donors: a multicenter study to determine the frequency of alloexposure. Transfusion. 2010 Dec 23. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02991.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kleinman S, Cameron C, Custer B, Busch M, Katz L, Kralj B, Matheson I, Murphy K, Preiksaitis J, Devine D. Modeling the risk of an emerging pathogen entering the Canadian blood supply. Transfusion. 2010 Dec;50(12):2592-606. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02724.x.
- Carrick DM, Johnson B, Kleinman SH, Vorhaben R, Chance SC, Lee JH, Roback JD, Pandey S, Sun Y, Busch MP, Norris PJ; for the NHLBI Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II (REDS-II). Agreement among HLA antibody detection assays is higher in ever-pregnant donors and improved using a consensus cutoff. Transfusion. 2010 Nov 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02938.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gottschall JL, Triulzi DJ, Curtis B, Kakaiya RM, Busch MP, Norris PJ, Glynn SA, Carrick D, Wright DJ, Kleinman S. The frequency and specificity of human neutrophil antigen antibodies in a blood donor population. Transfusion. 2010 Oct 26. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02913.x. [Epub ahead of print].
- Blajchman MA, Glynn SA, Josephson CD, Kleinman SH; State-of-the Science Symposium Transfusion Medicine Committee. Clinical trial opportunities in Transfusion Medicine: proceedings of a National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute State-of-the-Science Symposium. Transfus Med Rev. 2010 Oct;24(4):259-85.
- Endres RO, Kleinman SH, Carrick DM, Steele WR, Wright DJ, Norris PJ, Triulzi D, Kakaiya R, Busch MP; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II. Identification of specificities of antibodies against human leukocyte antigens in blood donors. Transfusion. 2010 Aug;50(8):1749-60. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2010.02589.x. Epub 2010 Feb 11.
- Kakaiya RM, Triulzi DJ, Wright DJ, Steele WR, Kleinman SH, Busch MP, Norris PJ, Hillyer CD, Gottschall JL, Rios JA, Carey P, Glynn SA; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study-II. Prevalence of HLA antibodies in remotely transfused or alloexposed volunteer blood donors. Transfusion. 2010 Jun;50(6):1328-34. Epub 2010 Jan 8.
- transfusion medicine with particular emphasis on transfusion-transmitted infections
- other adverse effects of blood transfusion, and how to use epidemiologic research data to formulate public and regulatory policy in blood transfusion safety
Topics in transfusion medicine