I completed my PhD in Microbiology and Infectious Disease in 2000 and my medical degree in 2003, both at the University of Calgary. I came to Vancouver the same year, completed a residency in General Pathology, and have been working as a general pathologist at Burnaby Hospital since 2009. I recently became a member of the board of directors of the Pacific Northwest Society of Pathologists.
- FRCPC (General Pathology)
- Medical General Practice License (BC)
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada
- MD, University of Calgary. 2003
- PhD, University of Calgary (Microbiology and Infectious Diseases). 2000
- BSc, University of Calgary (Cellular, Molecular and Microbial Biology, Ecology). 1993
- Yuen, V.T.H., Kirby, S.D., Woo, Y.C. Leiomyosarcoma of the epididymis: report of two cases and review of the literature. Can. Urol. Assoc. J. 5(6): E121-E124. 2011
- Kirby, S.D. General Pathology Program. UBC Pathology Newsletter, Fall/Winter 2007/2008, 31.
- Khan, A.G., Shouldice, S.R., Kirby, S.D., Yu, R-H., Tari, L.W. and A.B. Schryvers. High-affinity binding by the periplasmic iron-binding protein from Haemophilus influezae is required for acquiring iron from transferrin. Biochem, J. 404: 217-225. 2007
- Law, J.K., Amar, J.N., Kirby, S.D., Zetler, P.J. and R.A. Enns. Colonic cryptococcus infection. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 65(3): 525-526. 2007
- S.D. Kirby. Bite Wounds: The Pasteurellaceae and other challenging organisms. American Society for Clinical Pathology Check Sample. 50(1): 1-15. 2007
- Shouldice, S.R., Dougan, D.R., Williams, P.A., Skene, R.J., Snell, G., Scheibe, D., Kirby, S.D., Hosfield, D.J., McRee, D.E., Schryvers, A.B. and L.W. Tari. Crystal structure of Pasteurella haemolytica ferric ion binding protein A reveals a novel class of bacterial iron-binding proteins. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 278(42): 41-93-41098. 2003
- Lam, S.L., Kirby, S.D. and A.B. Schryvers. Foreign signal peptides can constitute a barrier to functional expression of periplasmic proteins in Haemophilus influenzae. Microbiology 149: 3155-3164. 2003
- Kirby, S.D., Lainson, F.A., Donachie, W., Okabe, A, Tokuda, M., Hatase, O. and A.B. Schryvers. The Pasteurella Haemolytica 35 kDa iron regulated protein is an FbpA homologue. Microbiology. 144(12): 3425-3436. 1998
- Khun, H.H., Kirby, S.D., and B.C. Lee. A Neisseria meningitidis fbpABC mutant is incapable of using non-heme iron for growth. Infection and Immunity. 66(5): 2330-2336. 1998
- Kirby, S.D., Gray-Owens, S.D. and A.B. Schryvers. Characterization of a ferric-binding protein mutant in Haemophilus influenzae. Molecular Microbiology. 25(5): 979-987. 1997
I have an interest in microbiology and infection control practice, and until recently had been active as the Chair of the Burnaby Hospital Infection Control Committee.
- UBC Medical Students CPC