Investigator, BC Children’s Hospital
Medical Microbiologist & Head, Division of Microbiology, BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre
Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 1992
- MD, University of British Columbia. 1986
- BSc, (Hon) Biochemistry, Simon Fraser University. 1980
- Tilley PA. Fox JD. Jayaraman GC. Preiksaitis JK. Maculopapular rash and tremor are associated with West Nile fever and neurological syndromes. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry. 78(5):529-31, 2007 May.
- Wong S, Burk VF, Pabbaraju K, Broukhanski GC, Fox JD, Louie T, Mah M, Broukhanski G, Tilley PAG. Use of Sequence Based Typing for Investigation of Nosocomial Legionellosis in a Low Prevalence Population. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 55(Pt 12):1707-10, 2006 Dec..
- Tilley PAG, JD Fox, GC Jayaraman, JK Preiksaitis. Nucleic Acid Testing for West Nile Virus RNA in Plasma Enhances the Diagnosis of Acute Infection in Symptomatic Patients. J Infect Dis 2006 193(10):1361-4.
- Knorr L, Fox JD, Tilley P, Ahmed-Bentley J. Evaluation of Real-Time PCR for diagnosis of Bordetella pertussis. Biochemical Central BMC Infectious Diseases 2006. 6(62);1-12.
- Cameron C, J Reeves, N Antonishyn, P Tilley, T Alport, B Eurich, D Towns, D Lane, J Saldhana. West Nile Virus in Canadian Blood Donors. Transfusion 2005. 45(4):487-91.
- Gorsche R, P Tilley. The rash of West Nile virus infection. CMAJ 2005. 172(11):1440.
- Melito PL, D.L. Woodward, J. Munro, J. Walsh, R. Foster, P. Tilley, A. Paccagnella, J. Isaac-Renton, J. Ismail. A Novel Shigella dysenteriae Serovar Isolated in Canada. J of Clin Microbiol 2005 43(2):740-4.
- Tilley,P.A.; Zachary,G.A.; Walle,R.; Schnee,P.F. West Nile virus detection and commercial assays. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 2005. 11(7):1154-5,
- Tilley,P.A.; Walle,R.; Chow,A.; Jayaraman,G.C.; Fonseca,K.; Drebot,M.A.; Preiksaitis,J.; Fox,J. Clinical utility of commercial enzyme immunoassays during the inaugural season of West Nile virus activity, Alberta, Canada. J Clin Microbiol. 2005. 43(9):4691-5.
- Fonseca K., Prince G.D., Bratvold J., Fox J.D., Pybus M., Preiksaitis J.K., Tilley P. West Nile virus and conjunctival exposure. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2005. 11(10) 1648-9.
- Pediatric infectious disease
Timely and accurate diagnosis of infectious agents is of the utmost importance in treating pediatric patients. I am interested in exploring how new technologies can be applied to improve the diagnosis of infectious disease and enable the best possible care of children.
Early and accurate diagnosis of respiratory and central nervous system infections can lead to improved outcomes and earlier discharges, yet identification methods for such diseases are commonly available for only a limited number of infectious agents. Next generation sequencing (NGS) technology has shown promise for detection of a huge range of human pathogens from biological samples. I have been involved as a co-investigator in a pilot study examining a new lab process for NGS for the comprehensive detection of bacterial and viral pathogens in pediatric respiratory and cerebrospinal fluid samples.