Dr. Popescu graduated from the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Craiova, Romania. After completing a residency in forensic pathology in Romania, she completed on AP/CP residency at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY. This was followed by a fellowship in pediatric pathology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. She joined the Children’s and Women’s Health Centre of British Columbia as a staff pathologist and UBC Faculty of Medicine as a Clinical Assistant Professor in July 2007. Her main interest is in GI pathology and pediatric solid tumors.
- Royal College of Physician and Surgeons, Anatomical Pathology, Fellow. May 2009
- Diplomate of American Board of Pathology in Pediatric Pathology. September 2009
- Diplomate of the American Board of Pathology in AP/CP. August 2006
- MD (Romanian Medical License #109), University of Medicine and Pharmacy Craiova – School of Medicine. 1985-1991
- Qadir MA, Kwok B, Zhan SH, Bruestle J, Drees B, Popescu OE and Sorensen PH. ChildSeq-RNA: a next-generation sequencing-based diagnostic assay to identify known fusion transcripts in childhood sarcomas. J Mol Diagn (in press). 2014
- K MacDonald, WV Norman, O Popescu. Methotrexate and misoprostol exposure in early pregnancy: a case history. JOGC 2013; 122(3): 267-268.
- Pugash D, Schrader I, Dunham C, Popescu O, Sargent M, Lehman A, Yong SL. Prenatal sonographic findings in Petty Syndrome. J Ultrasound Med 2013, 32(5): 881-883.
- G Sinclair, S Collins, O Popescu, D McFadden, L Arbour, H Vallance. “The Carnitine Palmitoyltransferase I variant and sudden unexpected infant death in British Columbia First Nations”. Pediatrics 2012; 130(5):1162-9.
- McLarren, K. W., Cole, A.E., Weisser, S. B., Voglmaier, N. S., Conlin V.S., Jacobson K., Popescu, O., Boucher, J.-L. and Sly, L.M. SHIP-deficient mice develop spontaneous intestinal inflammation and arginase-dependent fibrosis. Am J Pathol 2011;179(1):180-8
- Popescu OE, Landas SK, Haas GP. The spectrum of eosinophilic cystitis in males: case series and literature review. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Feb;133(2):289-94.
- Baboiu OE, Saal H, Collins M. Hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma: cytogenetic analysis of a case and review of the literature. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2008 Jul-Aug;11(4):295-9. Epub 2007 May 17.
- Baboiu OE, Taylor WM. Noninvasive sacral chordoma presenting as a benign soft tissue mass. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2006 Apr;10(2):95-9.
- Gatrointestinal pathology
- Pediatric tumors
My current practice is based on the diagnosis and study of neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases in children. My main interest is in pediatric solid tumors, gastrointestinal and liver pathology, and sudden infant death pathology.
The project I am working now is about liver and renal histopathology in sudden infant death cases in aboriginal children homozygous for CPT1AP479L mutation. This mutation is associated with recurrent attacks of hypoketotic hypoglycemia during fasting, fever, and intercurrent illnesses. Clinical presentation of CPT1A deficiency is variable and ranges from sudden death in infancy to liver disease with hepatomegaly later in life. It appears to have specific histological findings in sudden death cases of homozygous infants homozygous for CPT1AP479L mutation compared with heterozygous and wild type cases.