Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC
Anatomical Pathologist at Vancouver Island Health Authority
Victoria General Hospital
- FRCPC. 1989
- M.Med. Path.(Anat. Path.) University of Cape Town, South Africa. 1985
- MB, ChB(Hons). University of Rhodesia. 1979
- Chan WF, Atkins CJ, Naysmith D, van der Westhuizen N, Woo J, Nelson JL. Microchimerism in the rheumatoid nodules of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Feb;64(2):380-8.
- Michels J, Van Der Westhuizen N, Ross A. Synchronous metastatic seminoma and primary retroperitoneal ganglioneuroma: case report and literature review. Can Urol Assoc J. 2011 Dec;5(6):E109-12.
- Pommerville PJ, Zakus P, van der Westhuizen N, Kibsey PC. Tuberculosis of the bladder without previous renal infection. Can J Urol. 2006 Apr;13(2):3044-6.
- Hayashi AH, Silver SF, van der Westhuizen NG, Donald JC, Parker C, Fraser S, Ross AC, Olivotto IA. Treatment of invasive breast carcinoma with ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation. Am J Surg. 2003 May;185(5):429-35.
Primary Research Area
Secondary Research Area
Molecular Pathology and Cell Biology
- Gynecologic Pathology especially ovarian/fallopian tube and endometrial cancer
- Synoptic Reporting in Pathology
- Cytopathology (fine needle aspiration and fluid cytology)
- Perinatal Pathology
- Breast Pathology, especially related to the role of sentinel node biopsy in management of breast cancer and to the role of radiofrequency ablation as a treatment modality for breast cancer.
- Cardiac Pathology, particularly congenital heart disease but also transplantation pathology.
- Gynecologic Pathology