- Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Division of Clinical Chemistry, Vancouver General Hospital
- Regional Medical Leader for Clinical Chemistry, Vancouver Coastal Health
Morris Pudek, PhD, FCACB trained in Clinical Chemistry at VGH, following his PhD in Biochemistry from UBC, and obtained his certification from the CSCC in 1979. Morris served on the first board of directors of the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry and was the first recipient of the CACB award for outstanding service to the profession of Clinical Biochemistry. At the present time he is the Medical Discipline Leader for Clinical Chemistry for Vancouver Coastal Health. In addition he is a Clinical Professor in Pathology at UBC. Morris is the author or co-author of over 90 scientific publications. He has received many teaching awards from residents, science students and medical students over the years.
- Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry. 1986
- PhD, University of British Columbia, Biochemistry. 1976
- BSc, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Biochemistry (1st class honours). 1971
- Sathi P, Kalyan S, Hitchcock CL, Pudek M, Prior JC. Progesterone Therapy increases Free Thyroxine Levels- data from a randomized placebo-controlled 12-week hot flush trial. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Dec 17.
- Kavsak PA, Allen LC, Apple FS, Booth RA, Chan PC, Delvin E, Fraser A, Fu L, Gornall D, Collier C, Hill S, Hoffman B, Huang Y, Lavoie J, Lou A, Mattman A, McQueen M, Meng QH, Oleschuk C, Pudek M, Randell E, Sohn KY, Thorlacius L, Yip PM, Dahdah N, Devereaux PJ, Dhesy-Thind S, Hotte SJ, Worster A. Cardiac troponin testing in the acute care setting: ordering, reporting, and high sensitivity assays–an update from the Canadian society of clinical chemists (CSCC). Clin Biochem. 2011 Nov;44(16):1273-7. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2011.08.001. Epub 2011 Aug 7.
- Shalansky K, Hanko J, Pudek M, Li G, Jastrzebski J. Iron indices after administration of sodium ferric gluconate complex in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011 Oct;58(4):684-5. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2011.05.021.
- Häfeli UO, Ensom MH, Kiang TK, Stoeber B, Chua BA, Pudek M, Schmitt V. Comparison of vancomycin concentrations in blood and interstitial fluid: a possible model for less invasive therapeutic drug monitoring. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2011 Sep 21;49(12):2123-5.
- Al-Sarraf AJ, Haque M, Pudek M, Yoshida EM. Central pontine myelinolysis after orthotopic liver transplant-a rare complication. Exp Clin Transplant. 2010 Dec;8(4):321-4.
- Kalyan S, Hitchcock CL, Sirrs S, Pudek M, Prior JC. Cardiovascular and metabolic effects of medroxyprogesterone acetate versus conjugated equine estrogen after premenopausal hysterectomy with bilateral ovariectomy. Pharmacotherapy. 2010 May;30(5):442-52. doi: 10.1592/phco.30.5.442.
- Ralloff, K.; Liu, A.; Lau, J.; Purssell, R.; Pudek, M.; Westh, P.; Koga, Y. 2003. Thermodynamics of aqueous methanol and ethanol in the mole fraction range from 5×10(-4) to 5×10(-3) at 25 degrees Celsius. Fluid phase equilibria, 207, s. 301-317, 2003.
- Purssell RA, Pudek M, Brubacher J, Abu-Laban RB. Derivation and validation of a formula to calculate the contribution of ethanol to the osmolal gap. Ann Emerg Med. 2001 Dec;38(6):653-9.
- James GK, Jones MW, Pudek MR. Homocyst(e)ine levels in patients on phenytoin therapy. Clin Biochem. 1997 Dec;30(8):647-9.
- James GK, Pudek M, Berean KW, Diamandis EP, Archibald BL. Salivary duct carcinoma secreting prostate-specific antigen. Am J Clin Pathol. 1996 Aug;106(2):242-7.
- Bioenergetics in microorganisms
- effect of ischemic injury on liver metabolism, antibody interference with biochemical tests, HPLC analysis, porphyrin analysis, immunoassays and endocrinology, adrenal insufficiency in sepsis, homocysteine, TSH receptor antibodies, point of care testing in ER, osmolar gaps and ethanol
- Enzymology, high pressure and liquid chromatography, protein chemistry, radioimmunoassay, endocrinology and immunochemistry
- Original discoverer of digoxin-like immunoreactive substances (DLIS) in neonates and recipient of several research grants to investigate its clinical and physiological significance.
- Liver transplantation studies in pigs and man. Effect of different preservation solution on high energy nucleotides and cytochome P-450.
- Clinical: Endocrine, Hypertension Laboratory: Mass spectrometry
- Site Director for VGH; Organizes the teaching course for residents during blocks 8, 9, 10