Dr. Noble started his career primarily as a medical microbiologist, but laboratory quality management is an increasingly important part of his activities. Within the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, he co-developed the Clinical Microbiology Proficiency Testing (CMPT) program in 1983, a program which he continues to chair. In addition he chairs of the UBC Program Office for Laboratory Quality Management. Through these two programs, he is actively engaged in laboratory quality education, research, and outreach on both national and international levels.
In 2013, he was appointed as the co-chair (faculty) for the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine UBC Site Safety Committee.
Outside of the Department he works regularly with the International Organization for Standardization, Standards Council of Canada, Canadian Standards Association, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, International Training and Education Center for Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the World Health Organization.
Dr. Noble maintains an active blog Making Medical Lab Quality Relevant (www.medicallaboraotryquality.com).
- Laboratory Quality Management
- Medical Microbiology
- Laboratory Safety
- External Quality Assessment based on clinical sample simulation
- Certification in Specialty of Medical Microbiology, FRCP(C), 1978
- Certification in Specialty of Internal Medicine, FRCP(C), 1977
- MD, University of Western Ontario, Zoology. 1972
- BA, University of Western Ontario, Zoology. 1968
- Jane Lea, Anne Elizabeth Conlin, Inna Sekirov, Veronica Restelli, Komathi G Ayakar, LeeAnn Turnbull, Patrick Doyle, Michael Noble, Robert Rennie, William E Schreiber, and Brian D Westerberg, In vitro efficacy of N-acetylcysteine on bacteria associated with chronic suppurative otitis media. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014; 43(1): 20.
- Michael A Noble, Robert Martin. 2014. Editorial – Making Great Strides in Medical Laboratory Quality. African Journal for Laboratory Medicine. Accepted for Publication.
- Noble MA. 2013. Making progress in implementing quality in Canadian medical laboratories. Clin Biochem. 2013 Sept;46(13-14).
- Vernelen K, Noble MA, Sourdeau L, Libeer J-C. External quality assessment in microbiology: a comparison between the results from Belgian and Canadian laboratories with regard to their ability to identify S. pyogenes. Accreditation and Quality Assurance. 2008; 13(9) 501-504.
- Noble MA. Does external evaluation of laboratories improve patient safety? Clin Chem Lab Med. 2007;45(6):753-5. Review.
- Julie Gayken, Michael Noble, Julie Taylor, Paul Epner, Charles Fenstermaker, Shahram Shahangian, David Bruns, Nancy Elder, Barbara Goldsmith, Jennifer McGeary, Barbara Mitchell, Margaret Piper, David Sundwall . 2005 IQLM and CLMA take a snapshot of America’s hospital laboratory quality management. Clinical leadership & management review: the journal of CLMA 02/2005; 19(5):E2.
- Noble MA. Medical laboratories can be unsafe places. ISO Focus. 2004; 1;1:40-41.
- Yassi A, Noble MA, Daly P, Bryce E. Severe acute respiratory syndrome: guidelines were drawn up collaboratively to protect healthcare workers in British Columbia. BMJ. 2003; 21; 326(7403):1394-5.
- Boone DJ, Noble MA. editorial: Global Odyssey 2002: International conference on proficiency testing for medical laboratories. Accred Qual Assur 7. 2002; 8-9, 317-319.
- Development and Design for clinical sample simulations
- Costs of Poor Quality associated with Laboratory Error
- Impact of Organizational Culture on Laboratory Error