Dr. Kelly received his MD/PhD (microbiology) from Indiana University and did post-graduate training at University of Minnesota Medical School and US National Institutes of Health. He worked for several years in Salt Lake City VA Hospital as Acting Chief, Laboratory Services and the University of Texas Medical Branch as Professor of Pathology. Dr. Kelly moved to Vancouver, BC in 1984 to become Professor of Pathology at the University of British Columbia and microbiologist at Vancouver General Hospital. In 1987, he joined MDS Metro (now LifeLabs) as Head of Microbiology; the BC Provincial Lab as medical head, enteric section; and Shaughnessy Hospital as Division Head of Microbiology and Infection Control. He has been MDS Metro’s Medical Director of Laboratory Services since 1998. He is also the President and owner of Ocean Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Seatek Marine Biotechnology, Inc. Dr. Kelly has also written more than 100 articles published in medical and scientific journals.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 1989
- Professor of Pathology and Director of Microbiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston before moving to UBC in 1984.
- MD/PhD, Indiana University, Bloomington and Indianapolis, IN, Microbiology. 1973
- BSc, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Microbiology. 1965
- Barsby T, Warabi K, Sørensen D, Zimmerman WT, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. The Bogorol family of antibiotics: template-based structure elucidation and a new approach to positioning enantiomeric pairs of amino acids. J Org Chem. 2006 Aug 4;71(16):6031-7.
- Barsby T, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Tupuseleiamides and basiliskamides, new acyldipeptides and antifungal polyketides produced in culture by a Bacillus laterosporus isolate obtained from a tropical marine habitat. J Nat Prod. 2002 Oct;65(10):1447-51.
- Fontana A, Kelly MT, Prasad JD, Andersen RJ. Evidence for the biosynthesis of squalene via the methylerythritol phosphate pathway in a Streptomyces sp. obtained from a marine sediment. J Org Chem. 2001 Sep 7;66(18):6202-6.
- Barsby T, Kelly MT, Gagné SM, Andersen RJ. Bogorol A produced in culture by a marine Bacillus sp. reveals a novel template for cationic peptide antibiotics. Org Lett. 2001 Feb 8;3(3):437-40.
- Press N, Fyfe M, Bowie W, Kelly M. Clinical and microbiological follow-
up of an outbreak of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis serotype 1b. Scand J Infect Dis 33:523-526, 2001.
- Roberge M, Cinel B, Anderson HJ, Lim L, Jiang X, Xu L, Bigg CM, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Cell-based screen for antimitotic agents and identification of analogues of rhizoxin, eleutherobin, and paclitaxel in natural extracts. Cancer Res. 2000 Sep 15;60(18):5052-8.
- Marshall S, Clark CG, Wang G, Mulvey M, Kelly MT, Johnson WM. Comparison of molecular methods for typing Vibrio parahaemolyticus. J Clin Microbiol. 1999 Aug;37(8):2473-8.
- Gerard JM, Haden P, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Loloatins A-D, cyclic decapeptide antibiotics produced in culture by a tropical marine bacterium. J Nat Prod. 1999 Jan;62(1):80-5.
- Roberge M, Berlinck RG, Xu L, Anderson HJ, Lim LY, Curman D, Stringer CM, Friend SH, Davies P, Vincent I, Haggarty SJ, Kelly MT, Britton R, Piers E, Andersen RJ. High-throughput assay for G2 checkpoint inhibitors and identification of the structurally novel compound isogranulatimide. Cancer Res. 1998 Dec 15;58(24):5701-6.
- Fyfe M, Yeung ST, Daly P, Schallie K, Kelly MT, Buchanan S. Outbreak of Vibrio parahaemolyticus related to raw oysters in British Columbia. Can Commun Dis Rep. 1997 Oct 1;23(19):145-8. English, French.
My research is on the skin disease, rosacea, and on the discovery of new antimicrobials and other bioactive agents from marine microorganisms.
- medical microbiology