Clinical Professor, Pathology, UBC
Medical Director, Laboratory Services and Clinical Director, Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics, LifeLabs
Medical Director of Microbiology and Immunology for Northwest Pathology and PeaceHealth St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Bellingham
LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services
MD/PhD medical/marine microbiologist with >100 publications, 5 patents and 1 trademark; research discoveries lead to development of products for control of the skin disease, rosacea.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 1989
- Professor of Pathology and Director of Microbiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston before moving to UBC in 1984.
- MD/PhD, Indiana University, Bloomington and Indianapolis, IN, Microbiology. 1973
- BSc, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Microbiology. 1965
- Barsby T, Warabi K, Sørensen D, Zimmerman WT, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. The Bogorol family of antibiotics: template-based structure elucidation and a new approach to positioning enantiomeric pairs of amino acids. J Org Chem. 2006 Aug 4;71(16):6031-7.
- Barsby T, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Tupuseleiamides and basiliskamides, new acyldipeptides and antifungal polyketides produced in culture by a Bacillus laterosporus isolate obtained from a tropical marine habitat. J Nat Prod. 2002 Oct;65(10):1447-51.
- Fontana A, Kelly MT, Prasad JD, Andersen RJ. Evidence for the biosynthesis of squalene via the methylerythritol phosphate pathway in a Streptomyces sp. obtained from a marine sediment. J Org Chem. 2001 Sep 7;66(18):6202-6.
- Barsby T, Kelly MT, Gagné SM, Andersen RJ. Bogorol A produced in culture by a marine Bacillus sp. reveals a novel template for cationic peptide antibiotics. Org Lett. 2001 Feb 8;3(3):437-40.
- Press N, Fyfe M, Bowie W, Kelly M. Clinical and microbiological follow-
up of an outbreak of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis serotype 1b. Scand J Infect Dis 33:523-526, 2001.
- Roberge M, Cinel B, Anderson HJ, Lim L, Jiang X, Xu L, Bigg CM, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Cell-based screen for antimitotic agents and identification of analogues of rhizoxin, eleutherobin, and paclitaxel in natural extracts. Cancer Res. 2000 Sep 15;60(18):5052-8.
- Marshall S, Clark CG, Wang G, Mulvey M, Kelly MT, Johnson WM. Comparison of molecular methods for typing Vibrio parahaemolyticus. J Clin Microbiol. 1999 Aug;37(8):2473-8.
- Gerard JM, Haden P, Kelly MT, Andersen RJ. Loloatins A-D, cyclic decapeptide antibiotics produced in culture by a tropical marine bacterium. J Nat Prod. 1999 Jan;62(1):80-5.
- Roberge M, Berlinck RG, Xu L, Anderson HJ, Lim LY, Curman D, Stringer CM, Friend SH, Davies P, Vincent I, Haggarty SJ, Kelly MT, Britton R, Piers E, Andersen RJ. High-throughput assay for G2 checkpoint inhibitors and identification of the structurally novel compound isogranulatimide. Cancer Res. 1998 Dec 15;58(24):5701-6.
- Fyfe M, Yeung ST, Daly P, Schallie K, Kelly MT, Buchanan S. Outbreak of Vibrio parahaemolyticus related to raw oysters in British Columbia. Can Commun Dis Rep. 1997 Oct 1;23(19):145-8. English, French.
- drug discovery from marine microorganisms
- molecular diagnostics
- medical microbiology