Dr. Marc Romney is the Medical Director of Infection Protection and Control (IPAC) at Providence Health Care and oversees clinical testing performed in the Microbiology Laboratory at St. Paul’s Hospital. He heads up the IPAC team that recently won the prestigious Oxoid Judges’ Special Award for excellence in hospital infection prevention – the first time such an award has been won by a North American team.
He went to medical school at the University of Western Ontario, and then he did his residency at UBC. As part of his residency, he completed a course in tropical medicine at the London School of Hygiene and
Tropical Medicine. After his residency work, he pursued a fellowship at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia, where he was a member of the Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS).
- BSc, Cellular, Molecular and Microbial Biology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta. 1993
- MD, Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario. 1996
- DTM&H, Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, University of London, London, England. 2001
- Dodek PM, Norena M, Ayas NT, Romney M, Wong H. Length of stay and mortality due to Clostridium difficile infection acquired in the intensive care unit. Journal of Critical Care 2013;28(4):84-85.
- Wilmer A, Wong P, Press N, Leung V, Romney M, Champagne S. Oligella urethralis as a Cause of Urosepsis. Clinical Microbiology Newsletter 2013;35(10):84-85.
- Leung V, Lloyd-Smith E, Romney M. Classification of MRSA cases detected at the time of hospital admission: does the ‗look-back‘ period matter? Journal of Hospital Infection 2013;84(3):256-258.
- Wilmer A, Lloyd-Smith E, Leung V, Wong T, Ritchie G, Hoang L, Champagne S, Romney MG. Polymerase chain reaction assay to detect Clostridium difficile tcdC variants is valuable in characterizing hospital epidemiology. Journal of Hospital Infection 2013;84(3):252-255.
- Lloyd-Smith P, Younger J, Lloyd-Smith E, Green H, Leung V, Romney MG. Economic analysis of vancomycin-resistant enterococci at a Canadian hospital: assessing attributable cost and length of stay. Journal of Hospital Infection 2013;85(1):54-59.
- Wilmer A, Lloyd-Smith E, Romney MG, Champagne S, Wong T, Zhang W, Stenstrom R, Hull MW. Reduction in community-onset methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus rates in an urban Canadian hospital setting. Epidemiology and Infection 2013
- Lloyd-Smith E, Hull MW, Hawkins D, Champagne S, Kerr T, Romney MG. Screening for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in community-recruited injection drug users: are throat swabs necessary? Epidemiology and Infection 2012;140(9):1721-1724.
- MacDougall L, Fyfe M, Romney M, Starr M, Galanis E. Risk Factors for Cryptococcus gattii Infection, British Columbia, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011 Feb;17(2):193-9.
- Lloyd-Smith E, Hull MW, Tyndall MW, Zhang R, Wood E, Montaner JS, Kerr T, Romney MG. Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is prevalent in wounds of community-based injection drug users. Epidemiol Infect. 2010 May;138(5):713-20. Epub 2010 Mar 5.
- Galanis E, MacDougall L, Kidd S, Morshed M, and the British Columbia Cryptococcus gattii Working Group. Epidemiology of Cryptococcocus gattii, British Columbia, Canada, 1999–2007. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010;16(2):251-257.