Dr. Dooley obtained his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from UBC in 1976. He then did a post doctorate fellowship in inherited metabolic diseases at the BC Children’s Hospital. He went on to a clinical chemistry fellowship at the University of Texas in Houston where he was subsequently appointed to the position of Assistant Technical Director of Clinical Chemistry at Hermann Hospital. In 1981, Dr. Dooley moved to the IWK Children’s Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia to become the Head of Clinical Biochemistry. In 1984 he became a Founding Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemists. In 1990 he assumed the role of Director of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the IWK Grace Health Center.
Dr Dooley is also an adjunct Associate Professor of Pathology at Dalhousie University. From 1999 – 2007 he was the Chair of the Nova Scotia Newborn Screening Committee and from 2001 – 2003 President of the Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists. In 2007 he was awarded the Canadian Society of Clinical Chemists award for Outstanding Contribution to Clinical Chemistry.
- PhD, University of British Columbia, (Chemistry). 1976
- BSc, University of British Columbia, (Honours Chemistry). 1971
- Founding Fellow – Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemists (FCACB)
- Samuels ME, Orr A, Guernsey DL, Dooley K, Riddell C, Hodgkinson K, Ludman M, Pullman D. Is gene discovery research or diagnosis? Genet Med. 2008; 10(6):385-90.
- Dodds L, Fell DB, Dooley KC, Armson BA, Allen AC, Nassar BA, Perkins S, Joseph KS. Effect of homocysteine concentration in early pregnancy on gestational hypertensive disorders and other pregnancy outcomes. Clin Chem. 2008; 54(2):326-34. Epub 2007 Dec 10.
- Murphy MG, Crocker JF, O’Regan P, Lee SH, Geldenhuys L, Dooley K, Al-Khalidi M, Acott PD. Carnitine, acylcarnitine and amino acid profiles analyzed by tandem mass spectrometry in a surfactant/virus mouse model of acute hepatic encephalopathy. Chemosphere. 2007; 68(9):1692-8. Epub 2007 May 10.
- Tran K, Banerjee S, Li H, Noorani HZ, Mensinkai S, Dooley K. Clinical efficacy and cost effectiveness of newborn screening for medium chain acyl CoA dehydrogenase deficiency using tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Biochem. 2007; 40(3 4):235 41. Epub 2006 Dec 5.
- Alexander EL, Dooley KC, Pohajdak B, Xu BY, Wright JR Jr. Things we have learned from tilapia islet xenotransplantation. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2006; 148(2):125-31. Epub 2006 Jan 18.
- Lepage N, Li D, Kavsak PA, Bamforth F, Callahan J, Dooley K, Potter M. Incomplete pediatric reference intervals for the management of patients with inborn errors of metabolism. Clin Biochem. 2006;39(6):595 9.
- Campbell Yeo ML, Allen AC, Joseph KS, Ledwidge JM, Allen VM, Dooley KC. A double blind placebo controlled trial examining the effect of domperidone on the composition of breast milk. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2006; 6(1):17.
- Blois B, Riddell C, Dooley K, Dyack S. Newborns with C8 acylcarnitine level over the 90% percentile have an increased frequency of the common A985G MCAD Mutation. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease 2005;28(4):551 6.
- Dooley KC. Tandem mass spectrometry in the clinical chemistry laboratory. (Review) Clinical Biochemistry 2003;36:471-481.
- Wozniak E, Finley GA, Dooley K, Barnard D. Low-concentration morphine infusion does not compromise packed red blood cell transfusion. J Pain Symptom Manage 2001; 22(2): 668-71.
- inherited metabolic diseases
- newborn screening
- pediatric and
- maternal-fetal clinical chemistry