I’m a medical microbiologist with an interest in health informatics. I obtained my MD at the University of Alberta and my microbiology residency at UBC. After, I pursued a research fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital where I assessed the potential impact of MALDI-TOF MS in the laboratory and in patients. I have been working at Royal Jubilee Hospital since 2012, and am involved with infection control and antimicrobial stewardship. In Victoria, I am also completing a MSc in Health Information Science at UVic, with a thesis is on the development and data-mining of a large clinical data warehouse. I cannot imagine a more exciting time to be working in this field. Within the next few years, the advances and applications of genetics, robotics and informatics will change the way we diagnose and manage infections. Outside of the laboratory, I enjoy biking, kayaking, and skiing.
- MSc (Health Information Science), University of Victoria. 2011 – present
- Fellowship. Research-fellowship in Medical Microbiology. Johns Hopkins Hospital. 2011 – 2012
- Residency. Post-Grad training for Medical Microbiology. University of British Columbia. 2006 – 2011
- MD (Doctor of Medicine), University of Alberta. 2002 – 2006
- BSc (Life Sciences, Molecular Biology (via Integrated Sciences Program)), The University of British Columbia. 1996 – 2000
- FRCPC – Medical Microbiology. 2011
- Diplomate of the American Board of Medical Microbiology. 2010
Awards and Recognition
- Johns Hopkins Pathology: Pathology Young Investigators’ Day Award in Clinical Research. May 2012
- Infectious Disease Society of America: Travel grant for poster presentation at conference. Oct 2010
- European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases: Registration grant for poster presentation at conference. Apr 2010
- Prospective Evaluation of a Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry System in a Hospital Clinical Microbiology Laboratory for Identification of Bacteria and Yeasts: a Bench-by-Bench Study forAssessing the Impact on Time to Identification and Cost-Effectiveness. Tan KE, Ellis BC, Lee R, Stamper PD, Zhang SX, Carroll KC. (J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Oct;50(10):3301-8).
- Cryptococcus gattii infections with cutaneous involvement. Mistry N, Tan K, Shokravi M, Hoang L. (Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2011 Jul-Aug; 15(4): 236-7).
- Mumps virus detection during an outbreak in a highly unvaccinated population in British Columbia. Tan KE, Anderson M, Krajden M, Petric M, Mak A, Naus M. (Canadian Journal of Public Health 2011 Jan-Feb; 102(1): 47-50).
- Toxoplasmosis. Wright AJ, Tan KE, Alghamdi FA, Mackenzie IR, Isaac-Renton J, Morshed M. (ASCP Check Sample 2011, In Press).
- Trichosporon species: Classification, Identification, and Clinical Relevance. Tan K, Grant J. (American Society for Clinical Pathology – Check Sample: Microbiology 2010 Aug; 53(6): 61-71).
- Answer to case of the month #114 intrapericardial diaphragmatic hernia (IPDH). Tan KE, Marshall GB, Burrowes P, Gray R. (Canadian Association of Radiologist Journal 2006 Dec; 57(5): 303-5).
- Carboplatin and Vinblastine for the Treatment of Metastatic Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the Urothelial Tract. Al-Karim HA, Tan KE, Chi KN, Bryce CJ, Murray NR, Coppin C. (American Journal of Clinical Oncology 2002 Oct; 25(5): 515-9).
- Medical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases – including Infection Control & Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Advanced Diagnostic Methods – MALDI-TOF MS & Molecular Methods
- Health Informatics