Dr. Serrano works at the CBR in Dr. Dana Devine’s Research Lab trying to understand the factors involved in the deterioration of blood cell quality during storage. She hopes that the information gained from this research can be applied to improve the quality of blood components and ultimately lead to better outcomes for transfusion recipients.
- PhD Biochemistry, University of British Columbia, 2000
- BSc (Hons.) Biochemistry, University of British Columbia, 1990
- Serrano K, Chen D, Hansen A, Levin E, Turner T, Kurach J, Acker J, Devine DV. (2014) The effect of timing of gamma-irradiation on hemolysis and potassium release in leukoreduced red cell concentrates stored in SAGM. Vox Sanguinis 106:379-381.
- Levin E, Serrano K, Devine DV; Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. Standardization of CD62P measurement: results of an international comparative study. Vox Sang. 2013 Jul;105(1):38-46.
- Culibrk B, Stone E, Levin E, Weiss S, Serrano K, Devine DV. Application of the ADVIA cerebrospinal fluid assay to count residual red blood cells in blood components. Vox Sang. 2012 Oct;103(3):186-93.
- Devine DV, Serrano K. Preparation of blood products for transfusion: is there a best method? Biologicals. 2012 May;40(3):187-90.
- Levin E, Jenkins C, Culibrk B, Gyöngyössy-Issa MI, Serrano K, Devine DV. Development of a quality monitoring program for platelet components: a report of the first four years’ experience at Canadian Blood Services. Transfusion. 2012 Apr;52(4):810-8.
- Talbot K, Song J, Hewitt J, Serrano K, Ho M, Carter CJ, MacGillivray RT, Pryzdial EL. A novel compensating mechanism for homozygous coagulation factor V deficiency suggested by enhanced activated partial thromboplastin time after reconstitution with normal factor V. Br J Haematol. 2010 Oct;151(2):198-200.
- Serrano K, Levin E, Culibrk B, Weiss S, Scammell K, Boecker WF, Devine DV. Performance characteristics of a novel blood bag in-line closure device and subsequent product quality assessment. Transfusion. 2010 Oct;50(10):2240-8.
- Devine DV, Serrano K. The platelet storage lesion. Clin Lab Med. 2010 Jun;30(2):475-87.
- Serrano K, Scammell K, Weiss S, Culibrk B, Levin E, Gyöngyössy-Issa M, Devine DV. Plasma and cryoprecipitate manufactured from whole blood held overnight at room temperature meet quality standards. Transfusion. 2010 Feb;50(2):344-53.
- Han V, Serrano K, Devine DV. A comparative study of common techniques used to measure haemolysis in stored red cell concentrates. Vox Sang. 2010 Feb;98(2):116-23.
- Thon JN, Schubert P, Duguay M, Serrano K, Lin S, Kast J, Devine DV. Comprehensive proteomic analysis of protein changes during platelet storage requires complementary proteomic approaches. Transfusion. 2008 Mar;48(3):425-35.
- Improving quality of stored blood products