Dr. Frohlich is a UBC Professor Emeritus of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Director of the Clinical Trials Division of St. Paul’s Hospital Healthy Heart Program.
Having obtained his medical degree from Karlova University, Prague in 1965, Dr. Frohlich relocated to Montreal in 1968 and worked as a research fellow and trained in internal medicine and clinical pathology at McGill University and UBC. Before assuming his current positions in 1995, Dr. Frohlich was the associate director of the department of pathology of the Shaughnessy/ University Hospital, in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Over the last 30 years, his service activities centered on establishing the first B.C. Lipid Clinic (1980) and being instrumental in the development of lipid clinic outreach programs throughout B.C. His research has focused on the biochemistry of lipoprotein metabolism, the pathology of atherosclerosis, and the development of new markers for the prediction of atherosclerosis. In addition to his service, research and teaching duties Dr. Frohlich also reviews numerous grants and publications and serves on the Editorial Board of scientific journals in the field of clinical biochemistry. Dr. Frohlich is a prolific author (co-author) of over 250 publications in journals such as Circulation, Laboratory Investigation, Nature, Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, American Journal of Cardiology and Canadian Journal of Cardiology, among others dealing mostly with HDL metabolism, LCAT, clinical trials and guidelines.
Dr. Frohlich is a member of the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Dyslipidemia Working Group and the Canadian Cardiovascular Risk Assessment Working Group. He has also served on the British Columbia Heart Foundation Committee for the chair in cardiology. Dr. Frohlich is the president of the Healthy Heart Society of British Columbia (HHS) a non-profit organization which facilitates improvements in cardiovascular prevention practices in B.C. communities and collaborates with BCMA and Ministry of Health to improve management of chronic diseases. HHS received the BCMA “Excellence in Health Promotion Award” for these activities in 2005. In 2006 Dr. Frohlich received the UBC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine’s
“Excellence in Service” Award.
- MD from Karlova University, Prague; Dr. Frohlich’s specialty is medical biochemistry, which is a subspecialty of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Over the last 25 years he has further sub-specialized into laboratory and clinical aspects of lipoprotein metabolism and atherosclerosis. Currently, he is the Director of the Lipid Clinic and Academic Director of the Healthy Heart Program at St. Paul’s Hospital.
- Al-Sarraf A, Allard M, Martinka M, Frohlich J. Regional and national familial hypercholesterolemia registries: present international application, importance, and needs for Canada Can J Cardiol. 2013 Jan;29(1):6-9.
- Sarwal G, Al-Sarraf A, Frohlich J. Paediatric type III dyslipidaemia: a case of vanishing hyperlipidaemia BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Nov 1;2012.
- Gasevic D, Frohlich J, Mancini GB, Lear SA. The association between triglycerides to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio and insulin resistance in a multiethnical primary pervention cohort. Metabolism. 2012 Apr;61(4):583-9.
- Taraboanta C, Hague CJ, Mancini GB, Forster BB, Frohlich J. Coronary artery calcium findings in asymptomatic subjects with family history of premature coronary artery disease BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2012.
- Farias Godoy A, Ignaszewski A, Frohlich J, Lear SA. Predictors of metabolic syndrome in participants of a cardiac rehabilitation program ISRN Cardiol. 2012;2012:736314.
- Li M, Al-Sarraf A, Mattman A, Frohlich J. Use of once-weekly statin in combination with ezetimibe in a patient with mitochondrial disease BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Apr 23;2012.
- Sandhu S, Al-Sarraf A, Taraboanta C, Frohlich J, Francis GA. Incidence of pancreatitis, secondary causes and treatment of patients referred to a specialty lipid clinic with severe hypertriglyceridemia: a retrospective cohort study. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Sep 11;10:157.
- Mancini GB, Baker S, Bergeron J, Fitchett D, Frohlich J, Genest J, Gupta M, Hegele RA, Ng D, Pope J. Diagnosis, prevention and management of statin adverse effects and intolerance: Proceedings of a Canadian Working Group Consensus Conference. Can J Cardiol. 2011 Sep;27(5):635-62.
- Jenkins DJ, Jones PJ, Lamarche B, Kendall CW, Faulkner D, Cermakova L, Gigleux I, Ramprasath V, de Souza R, Ireland C, Patel D, Srichaikul K, Abdulnour S, Bashyam B, Collier C, Hoshizaki S, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW, Frohlich J. Effect of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods given at 2 levels of intensity of dietary advice on serum lipids in hyperlipidemia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011 Aug 24;306(8):831-9.
- Hill J, Heslop C, Man SF, Frohlich J, Connett JE, Anthonisen NR, Wise RA, Tashkin DP, Sin DD. Circulating surfactant protein-D and the risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Eur Heart J. 2011 Aug;32(15):1918-25.
- Dr. Frohlich’s current areas of active research are dyslipidemias, atherosclerosis, phytosterols in medicine, genetic determinants of response to inflammation and atherosclerosis, and HDL metabolism as well as clinical trial of new lipid lowering medications.
- Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Disease
- Prevention clinic
- Clinical; Counselor in research projects