I was born in Alberta, but I grew up in Burnaby, BC. After completing high school I attended Simon Fraser University and University of Alberta where I completed my undergraduate and a graduate degree. I completed my M.D. and specialty training in Pathology at the University of British Columbia. Following residency training I was hired at St. Paul’s Hospital as an Anatomical Pathologist. I have an interest in teaching and mentorship and I am the recipient of multiple teaching awards from the Department of General Surgery (1995, 2000), St. Paul’s Hospital Director of Medical Education (1997, 2000) and the Bobby Miller Award for Best Professional Role Model to Residents from the University of British Columbia (2001). I completed the Simon Fraser University Heath Management Program (2004) and started as the Anatomical Pathology Medical Lead in 2008
- Pathology RCPSC Specialty – General Pathology. 1988
- RCPSC Specialty – Anatomical. 1988
- MD, University of British Columbia. 1982
- MSc, University of Alberta, Biochemistry. 1978
- BSc, Simon Fraser University, Biochemistry. 1976
- Maizlin, Z. V., Wiseman, S. M., Vora, P., Kirby, J. M., Mason, A. C., Filipenko D., Brown, J. A. “Hürthle Cell Neoplasms of the Thyroid: Sonographic Appearance and Histologic Characteristics”.Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 27: 751–757 (2008).
- Chiu, C. G., Harrison P. B., Filipenko, D., Wiseman, S. M. “Thyroid Invasion by Locally Advanced Esophageal Cancer Masquerading as Anaplastic Carcinoma”. Thyroid 18(7): 799-800 (2008).
- Wiseman, S. M., Masoudi, H., Niblock, P., Turbin, D., Rajput, A., Hay, J., Bugis, S., Filipenko, D.,Huntsman, D., Gilks, B. “Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma: Expression Profile of Targets for Therapy Offers New Insights for Disease Treatment”. Annals of Surgical Oncology 14(2): 719-729 (2007).
- Maizlin, Z. V., Brown, J. A., Buckley, M. R. E., Filipenko, D., Barnard, S. A., Wong, X., Enns, R., Cooperberg, P. L., Vos, P. M. “Aneurysmal Dilatation of the Small Bowel – Real and Mimicked (Not only Lymphoma)”. Seminars in Roentgenology 41(4): 248-249 (2006).
- Smith, J., Hwang, H., Wiseman, K. W., Filipenko, D., Phang, P. T. “Ex vivo sentinel lymph node mapping in colon cancer: improving the accuracy of pathologic staging?”. The American Journal of Surgery 191(5): 665-668 (2006).
- Ezzat, H., Filipenko, D., Vickars, L., Galbraith, P., Li, C., Murphy, K., Montaner, J., Harris, M., Hogg, R., Vercauteren, S., Leger, C. S., Zypchen, L., Leitch, H. A. “BCL-2 Expression May Adversely Affect Outcome in HIV-associated Systemic non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma; Rituximab and HAART with Chemotherapy May Abrogate this Effect”. Annals of Oncology, 9th International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma 16 Supplement 5:v174 (June 2005).
- Harris M, Patenaude P, Cooperberg P, Filipenko D, Thorne A, Raboud J, Rae S, Dailey P, Todd J, Conway B, Montaner JSG, and the INCAS Study Group. Correlation of Virus Load in Plasma and Lymph Node in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 176: 1388-1392 (1997).
- Yoshida EM, Filipenko D, Philips P, Montaner JSG, Whittaker JS. AIDS-Related Extrapulmonary Pneumocystis carinii Infection Presenting as a Solitary Rectal Ulcer. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology 10: 401-404 (1996).
- Zetler PJ, Filipenko JD, Bilbey JH, Schmidt N. Primary Adrenal Leiomyosarcoma in a Man with Acquired Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 119: 1164-1167 (1995).
- Smith, F. J., Bilbey, J. H., Filipenko, J. D., Goldenberg, S. L. “Testicular Pseudotumor in the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome”. Urology 45: 535-537 (1995).
- Laboratory Leadership
- Anatomical Pathology
- Teaching and Mentorship
- Anatomical Pathology