Investigator, BC Children’s Hospital
Director, Provincial Newborn Screening Program, BC Children’s Hospital
Director, Biochemical Genetics Laboratory, BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre
Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology, University of British Columbia
Hilary obtained her Doctor of Medicine from the University of British Columbia (UBC). She went on to do specialty training in Laboratory Medicine and fellowship training in Biochemical Genetics at UBC. She directs the Biochemical Geneticist Laboratory at BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre and is a Clinical Professor in the UBC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. She has been the Medical Director of the BC Newborn Screening Program since 1996. Her research contributions have been in the area of inborn errors of metabolism and newborn screening.
- FCCMG, University of British Columbia, Biochemical Genetics. 1996
- FRCPC, University of British Columbia, Medical Biochemistry. 1993
- MD, University of British Columbia, Medicine. 1987
- Cell Biology, University of British Columbia. 1983
Awards and Recognition
- Dr. Parminder Singh Award, British Columbia Pediatric Society — 2011
Primary Research Area: Prevalence and natural history of a common variant in the Carnitine Palmitoyl transferase Ia gene in BC and Northern aboriginal populations.
- Teaching and Learning: Program Director, UBC Biochemical Genetics Post-graduate fellowship program. This is an accredited program through the Canadian College of Medical Geneticists.
She has served on the CCMG Accreditation, Biochemical Genetics, Metabolic and Training Committees.