Diane Roscoe, MD, FRCPC Medical Microbiology, and ABIM Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, is Division Head, Medical Microbiology and Infection Control, Vancouver General Hospital, Discipline Lead, Medical Microbiology, Vancouver Coastal Regional Laboratory, and Clinical Professor, University of British Columbia. She is a member of the Clinical Microbiology Proficiency Testing (CMPT) Bacteriology Committee and represents AMMI Canada on the Canadian Standards Association Technical Committee (CSA TC) Z 252, the National Committee for Medical Laboratory Quality Systems. Diane is a member of Working Group 4 of ISO TC 212 on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. She has served in the past as a member and Co-Chair of the Microbiology Working Group of the Diagnostic Accreditation Program (DAP), the body responsible for the accreditation of laboratories in British Columbia.
Diane led the development of the Host Defenses and Infection Block (HDI) in the UBC Medical Undergraduate curriculum, served as Chair or in advisory capacity for 10 years, and continues to coordinate and run the HDI laboratory component. She participated in the development and continues to instruct a UBC 3 credit problem-based course in Infection Control delivered by WebCT (Basics of Infection Control, Path 427). Along with other Infection Control educators, she assisted in the development of the CHICA-Canada Distance Education Program. Diane also developed and instructs “Quality Monitoring”, a module in the Laboratory Quality Management Course offered through UBC.
- MD, Jefferson Medical College. 1983
- MS, Thomas Jefferson University, Clinical Microbiology. 1977
- BS, The Pennsylvania State University, Medical Technology. 1973
- Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada. 1991
- FRCP (C), Medical Microbiology. 1991
- License, B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons. 1991
- Diplomate, Subspecialty of Infectious Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine. 1988
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine. 1986
- License to practice Medicine, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. 1984
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Levasseur SD, Schendel S, Mark S, Mathias R, Roscoe D, Holland SP. The corneal ulcer one-touch study: a simplified microbiological specimen collection method. Accepted, American Journal of Ophthalmology, September 2014. AJOPHT9074.
- Payne M, Roscoe D. Evaluation of two chromogenic media for the isolation and identification of urinary tract pathogens. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis, DOI 10.1007/s10096-014-2235-3, August 2014. (Epub ahead of print).
- Bryce E, Wong T, Forrester L, Masri B, Roscoe D, et al. Nasal Photodisinfection and Chlorhexidine Wipes Decrease Surgical Site Infections: A Historical Control Study and Propensity analysis. Accepted: Journal of Hospital Infection, July 2014. JHI-D-13-00658R1
- Wong PHP, von Krosigk M, Roscoe DL, Lau TTY, Yousefi M, Bowie WR. Antimicrobial co-resistance patterns of gram-negative bacilli isolated from bloodstream infections: a longitudinal epidemiological study from 2002-2011.BMC Infectious Diseases 2014;14:393
- Mataseje L; Boyd D; Lefebvre B; Bryce E; Roscoe D; Mulvey M, et al. Complete sequencing of a novel blaNDM-1- harbouring plasmid from Providencia rettgeri and an FII-type plasmid from Klebsiella pneumoniae identified in Canada. J Antimicrob Chemother 2014;69: 637-642. DOI:10.1093/jac/dkt445 (Epub ahead of print).
- Bryce E, Wong T, Roscoe D, Forrester L, Masri B. A novel immediate pre-operative decolonization strategy reduces surgical site infections. Antimicrob Resistance and Infect Control 2013;2(Suppl 1);010
- Nichol K, Adam H, Roscoe D, Golding G, Lagace-Wiens P, Hoban D, Zhanel GG. CANW: Changing Epidemiology of methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Canada. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013;68(suppl1):i47-i55. DOI:10.1093/jac/dkt026.
- Al-Rawahi GN, Roscoe DL. Ten-year review of candidemia in a Canadian tertiary care centre: Predominance of non-albicans candida species. Can J Infect Dis Med Micro 2013;24:e65-e68.
- Mataseje LF, Bryce E, Roscoe D, Boyd DA, Embree J, Gravel D, Katz K, Kibsey P, Kuhn M, Mounchili A, Simor A, Taylor G, Thomas E, Turgeon N, Mulvey MR. Carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacilli in Canada 2009-10: results from the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance program (CNISP). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012 Jun;67(6):1359-67. Epub 2012 Mar.
- Grant J, Jastrzebski J, Johnston J, Stefanovic A, Elwood K, Roscoe D et al. Interferon Gamma Release Assays Are a Better Tuberculosis Screening Test for Hemodialysis Patients: A Study and Review of the Literature. Can J Infect Dis Med Micro 2012; 23:114-116.
- General diagnostic medical microbiology
– Molecular techniques and other rapid diagnostic methods
- Infection control
-Practices, policies, education
-Laboratory support for infection control services
- Bacterial infections
– Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing, molecular epidemiology and surveillance of Antibiotic Resistant Organisms – BCAMM Provincial Surveillance Group for antibiotic resistant organisms
Municipal, hospital and laboratory response to adverse events with biological agents (BRAT)
- Block Chair: Foundations of Medicine 401:M/D Undergraduate Curriculum – “Host Defenses and Infections”
-Block and week development and coordination
-Case writing – 5 cases
-Laboratory component: Development and instructor
- Co-Development of Infection Control Certificate Program using WebCT format (with E. Bryce MD FRCPC)
-Pathology 427: Basic Principles of Infection Control
-Pathology 467: Basic Microbiology for Infection Control (adapt to WebCT, Dr. F. Roberts Developer
-Pathology 477/HCEP 401: Epidemiology for Infection Control: D. Patrick, M. Naus, E. Bryce, D. Roscoe
-Pathology 451: Practicum in Laboratory Medicine and Infection Control
- Co-development, Laboratory Quality Management: with M. Noble MD FRCPC: “Monitoring Quality” module