Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC
Royal Jubilee Hospital
- Anatomic Pathology Residency, University of Calgary. 2008-2012
- Cytopathology Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston Texas
- MD, University of Calgary (Medical Science). 2003/08 – 2006/05
- PhD, University of Calgary and University of Florida (Cancer Cell Biology). 1998/09 – 2003/08
- BSc(honours), University of Calgary (Biochemistry). 1993/08 – 1998/03
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Anatomic Pathology, 2012
- Diplomate of American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology 2012
- Specialist in American Board of Pathology in Cytopathology, MD Anderson Cancer Center 2013
- Thin Prep Pap Test Certification from Cytyc Corp 2012
Awards and Recognition
- Donald W. Penner Award (National Award from Canadian Association of Pathology annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia for best proffered paper presentation). July 2011
- Canadian Chairs Award in Experimental Pathology (National Award from Canadian Association of Pathology annual conference in Montreal, Quebec, July 2010). July 2010
- Governor General Gold Medal (The Chancellery of Honors, Office of the Secretary to the Governor General, Ottawa Canada). November 2004
- Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship (University of Calgary). April 2003
- Research Innovation Award (University of Calgary). January 2003
- NSERC Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Post Graduate Scholarship (PGSB). Sept 01, 2001- Aug 31, 2003
- Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, Graduate studentship (AHFMR). Jul 01, 2001- Jun 31, 2006
- Proximal epithelioid sarcoma after a history of malignant melanoma: a diagnostic challenge. Wang G, van der Westhuizen N, Hyrcza M, Pringle K, Salina D. Cytopathology. 2016 May 18. doi: 10.1111/cyt.12341.
- Pulmonary artery intimal sarcoma diagnosed using endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration. Caraway NP, Salina D, Deavers MT, Morice R, Landon G. Cytojournal. 2015 Feb 18;12:3. doi: 10.4103/1742-6413.151667.
- Infection-induced NETosis is a dynamic process involving neutrophil multitasking in vivo. Yipp BG, Petri B, Salina D, Jenne CN, Scott BN, Zbytnuik LD, Pittman K, Asaduzzaman M, Wu K, Meijndert HC, Malawista SE, de Boisfleury Chevance A, Zhang K, Conly J, Kubes P. Nat Med. 2012 Sep;18(9):1386-93.
- A novel mechanism of rapid nuclear neutrophil extracellular trap formation in response to Staphylococcus aureus. Pilsczek FH, Salina D, Poon KK, Fahey C, Yipp BG, Sibley CD, Robbins SM, Green FH, Surette MG, Sugai M, Bowden MG, Hussain M, Zhang K, Kubes P. J Immunol. 2010 Dec 15;185(12):7413-25.
- Aspects of nuclear envelope dynamics in mitotic cells. Burke B, Shanahan C, Salina D, Crisp M. Novartis Found Symp. 2005;264:22-30; discussion 30-4, 227-30. Review.
- Nuclear envelope dynamics during mitosis. Burke B, Crisp M, Salina D. Symp Soc Exp Biol. 2004;(56):205-16. Review.
- Nup358 integrates nuclear envelope breakdown with kinetochore assembly. Salina D, Enarson P, Rattner JB, Burke B. J Cell Biol. 2003 Sep 15;162(6):991-1001.
- Cytoplasmic dynein as a facilitator of nuclear envelope breakdown. Salina D, Bodoor K, Eckley DM, Schroer TA, Rattner JB, Burke B. Cell. 2002 Jan 11;108(1):97-107.
- Function and assembly of nuclear pore complex proteins. Bodoor K, Shaikh S, Enarson P, Chowdhury S, Salina D, Raharjo WH, Burke B. Biochem Cell Biol. 1999;77(4):321-9. Review.
- Sequential recruitment of NPC proteins to the nuclear periphery at the end of mitosis. Bodoor K, Shaikh S, Salina D, Raharjo WH, Bastos R, Lohka M, Burke B. J Cell Sci. 1999 Jul;112 ( Pt 13):2253-64.
Primary Research Area
Secondary Research Area
Molecular Pathology and Cell Biology
- Genitourinary malignancies and inflammation in collaboration with BCCA Deeley Research Center
- Rapid on site assessment/image guided/ fine needle aspiration cytopathology of non gynecological malignancies
Current projects in my lab include:
Current Student Research Projects:
- Defining immune signatures in genitourinary cancers and their association with outcome, VIHA collaborative grant project with Dr. Julian Lum at BC Cancer Agency, UBC Pathology Resident Basile Tessier-Cloutier
- University of British Columbia Island Medical Program Anatomic Pathology
Pathology electives, medical student or resident collaborative research projects welcome in both non gynecological cytopathology or surgical pathology