Dr. Schaeffer is an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine at University of British Columbia and the Head of the Division of Anatomic Pathology at Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) where he practices as a gastrointestinal pathologist. Dr. Schaeffer obtained his medical degree from the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany. After a residency program in Anatomical Pathology in Vancouver he completed his gastrointestinal pathology fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto. Dr. Schaeffer is a co-director of Pancreas Centre BC and also heads the Gastrointestinal Biobank (GIBB) at VGH. He has an active research program focusing predominately on translational research in colonic and pancreatic cancer.
- The University of British Columbia, Assistant Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Present
- University of Toronto, Clinical Fellow. 2011-2012
- The University of British Columbia, Anatomical Pathology – Resident. 2006-2011
- The University of British Columbia, Postdoctoral Fellow. 2004-2006
Awards and Recognition
- The 2016 VCHRI Investigator Award recipient
As discipline lead for gastrointestinal pathology at Vancouver General Hospital, Dr. Schaeffer is actively involved in training programs for both medical students and residents.