Clinical Associate Professor, UBC
Hematopathologist, Vancouver General Hospital
A practicing hematopathologist interested in technology assessment and evaluation in the field of laboratory medicine and transfusion medicine.
- Utilization studies on blood products, blood inventory management and autoimmune testings.
- MBA Simon Fraser University. 1996
- FRCPC, Haematological Pathology, University of B.C. 1988
- MBBS, Hong Kong University. 1980
- Smith TW, Pi D, Hudoba de Badyn M, Lee AY. Reducing inpatient heritable thrombophilia testing using a clinical decision-making tool. J Clin Path 67(4): 345-349, 2014.
- Goswanmi, R, Pi D Chen K, Hudoba de Badyn M. Performance Evaluation of a Dynamic Telepathology System (PanoptiqTM) in the Morphologic Assessment of Peripheral Blood Film Abnormalities. IJLH epub. 2014.
- Man A, Shojania K, Phoon C, Pal J, de Badyn MH, Pi D, et al. An evaluation of autoimmune antibody testing patterns in a Canadian health region and an evaluation of a laboratory algorithm aimed at reducing unnecessary testing. Clin Rheumatol. 32 (5): 601-608, 2013.
- Feasby T, Quan H, Tubman M, Pi D, et al. Appropriateness of the use of intravenous immune globulin before and after the introduction of a utilization control program. Open Medicine 6 (1): e28-34, 2012.
- Hudoba M, Dalal B, Warkentin TE, Chipperfield KM, Pi D, et al. Toward better utilization of laboratory resources: The impact of a mandatory 4Ts pretest clinical assessment form on the diagnosis of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. BCMJ 54 (5): 244-247, 2012.
- Pi D, Hudoba de Badyn M, Nimmo M, et al. Application of Linear Discriminant Analysis in Performance Evaluation of Extractable Nuclear Antigen Immunoassay Systems in the Screening and Diagnosis of Systemic Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases. AJCP 138 (10): 596-603, 2012.
- Telio D, Pi D, et al. Atypical Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (Letter). Haematologica 96 (11): e43, 2011.
- Blasig A, Wagner EC, Pi D, et al. Hepatitis C Infection among Pregnant Women in British Columbia: Reported Prevalence and Critical Appraisal of Current Prenatal Screening Methods. CJPH 102 (2): 98-102, 2011.
- Xie F, Blackhouse G, Assasi N, Campbell K, Levin M, Bowen J, Tarride JE, Pi D, Goeree R. Results of a Model Analysis to Estimate Cost Utility and Value of Information for Intravenous Immunoglobulin in Canadian Adults with Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenia Purpura. Clinical Therapeutics 31(5), 1081-1091, 2009.
- Blackhouse G, Pi D et al. Canadian cost-utility analysis of intravenous immunoglobulin for acute childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2009.
- Blood, Heart and Circulation
- Improvements in operations efficiency and systems reform. Operations research with discrete model analysis.
- Tutor in clinical Laboratory Medicine 453, Hematology, UBC. 1985, 1987, 1989-present
- Clinical Instructor in General Pathology and Haematological Pathology Residency Programs, UBC. 1989-present
- Postgraduate Course for Medical Technologists in B.C. – Invited Speaker. 1988, 1990, 1991
- Member of Hematological Pathology Residency Training Committee – UBC. 1991-present