Dr. Owen is from North Wales. He received his medical degree at the University of Wales and his training in Pathology at St. Thomas’ Hospital Medical School in London, England. He immigrated to Canada in 1976 and spent four years at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg before moving to Vancouver in 1980. Currently he is Professor of Pathology in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of British Columbia and Consultant Pathologist at Vancouver General Hospital. He has authored or co-authored over 100 articles in the medical literature and is co-author of a textbook of pancreatic pathology.
Dr. Owen’s major interest is in the morphologic aspects of gastrointestinal and pancreatic disease including the influence of histopathologic appearances on the prognosis of malignant neoplasms.
- MB, BCh, University of Wales, Medicine and Surgery. 1967
- Royal College of Pathologists of Great Britain: Membership 1974 (by examination); Promoted to Fellow, (FRCPath). 1987
- Province and British Columbia: Licensed Physician and Certified Specialist in Anatomical pathology. 1980 – present
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada: Fellow and Certified Specialist in Anatomical Pathology, (by examination) (FRCPC). 1977
- Medical Council of Canada: Licentiate. 1977
- Province of Manitoba: Licensed Physician, 1976 and Certified Specialist in Anatomical Pathology. 1977
- Klass D, Owen D, Buczkowski A, Chung SW, Scudamore CH, Weiss AA, Yoshida EM, Ford JE, Ho S, Liu DM. The effect of Doxirubicin loading on response and toxicity with drug-eluting embolization in resectable hepatoma: A dose escalation study. Anticancer Res 2014;34;3597-3606.
- Verdun TP, Owen DA. Primary peritoneal ependymoma. Pathol Res Pract in press. 2014
- Griffith M, Mwenifumbo JC, Cheung PY, Paul TJ, Tang MJ, Chittaranjan S, Mori RD, Asano JK, Ally AA, Miao L, Lee A, Chan SY, Taylor G, Severson T, Hou YC, Griffith OL, Cheng GS, Novik K, Moore R, Luk M, Owen D, Brown CJ, Morin GB, Gill S, Tai IT, Marra MA. Novel mRNA isoforms and mutations of uridine monophosphate synthetase and 5-FU resistance in colorectal cancer. Pharmocogenetics J 2013;13:158-158.
- Degroote D, Knippenberg L, Borght SV, Spaepen M, Matthis G, Schaeffer DF, Owen DA, Libbrecht L, Lambein K, de Hertogh G, Toussevn T, Sagaert X. Analysis of microsatellite instability in gastric mucosa associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2013;54:812-818.
- Wong JC, Hasan MR, Rahman M, Yu JC, Chan SK, Schaeffer DF, Kennecke HF, Lim HJ, Owen D, Tai IT. Nucleophosphmin 1, upregulated in cancers of the colon, inhibits a p53 mediated cellular senescence. Int J Cancer 2013;133:1567-1577.
- Short MA, Tai IT, Owen D, Zeng H. Using high-frequency Raman spectra for colonic neoplasia detection. Opt Express 2013;25:5025-5034.
- Garung A, Owen DA. Giant fibrovascular polyp of the esophagus. Pathol Case Rev 2013;18:67-69.
- Assi K, Bergstrom K, Vallence B, Owen D, Salh B. Requirement of intergrin-linked kinase for facilitation od Citrobacter rodentium-induced colitis. BMC Gastroenterology 2013;13:137.
- Yap WW, Kirke R, Yoshida EM, Owen D, Harris AC. Non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis using ARFI with pathological correlation, a prospective study. Ann Hepatol 2013;12:608-615.
- Digestive System
- Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Pathology