Dr. Li joined Vancouver General Hospital as a Clinical Chemist in December 2006 and the UBC Faculty of Medicine as a Clinical Assistant Professor in July 2007. She started her career as a Pediatrician in China. Her professional development was furthered by a PhD degree from Karolinska Institute, Sweden. She then did a Postdoctoral Fellowship with Dr. Amira Klip at the Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children. After her Postdoctoral Training in Clinical Chemistry at University of Toronto, she took the position of Clinical Chemist at Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Prince Edward Island and spent 2.5 years there. In addition to her routine work as a clinical chemist at VGH, Dr. Li is involved in teaching in the UBC Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science Program and General Pathology and Medical Biochemistry Residency Training Program.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry (DABCC). 2007
- Fellow of Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (FCACB). 2005
- PhD, Karolinska Institute, Sweden. 1999
- MS, Tongji Medical University, China. 1990
- MD, Hubei Medical University, China. 1984
- Wong, S., B. Hughes, M. Pudek, and D. Li. Malignant catatonia mimicking pheochromocytoma. Case Reports in Endocrinology. Volume 2013, Article ID 815821, 5 pages.
- Lepage N, Li D, Kavsak PA, Bamforth F, Callahan J, Dooley K, Potter M. Incomplete pediatric reference intervals for the management of patients with inborn errors of metabolism. Clin Biochem. 2006 Jun;39(6):595-9.
- Randhawa VK, Thong FS, Lim DY, Li D, Garg RR, Rudge R, Galli T, Rudich A, Klip A. Insulin and hypertonicity recruit GLUT4 to the plasma membrane of muscle cells by using N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor-dependent SNARE mechanisms but different v-SNAREs: role of TI-VAMP. Mol Biol Cell. 2004 Dec;15(12):5565-73.
- Kavsak PA, Zielinski N, Li D, McNamara PJ, Adeli K. Challenges of implementing point-of-care testing (POCT) glucose meters in a pediatric acute care setting. Clin Biochem. 2004 Sep;37(9):811-7.
- Sweeney G, Garg RR, Ceddia RB, Li D, Ishiki M, Somwar R, Foster LJ, Neilsen PO, Prestwich GD, Rudich A, Klip A. Intracellular delivery of phosphatidylinositol (3,4,5)-trisphosphate causes incorporation of glucose transporter 4 into the plasma membrane of muscle and fat cells without increasing glucose uptake. J Biol Chem. 2004 Jul 30;279(31):32233-42.
- Niu W, Huang C, Nawaz Z, Levy M, Somwar R, Li D, Bilan PJ, Klip A. Maturation of the regulation of GLUT4 activity by p38 MAPK during L6 cell myogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2003 May 16;278(20):17953-62.
- Foster LJ, Li D, Randhawa VK, Klip A. Insulin accelerates inter-endosomal GLUT4 traffic via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and protein kinase B. J Biol Chem. 2001 Nov 23;276(47):44212-21.
- Li D, Randhawa VK, Patel N, Hayashi M, Klip A. Hyperosmolarity reduces GLUT4 endocytosis and increases its exocytosis from a VAMP2-independent pool in l6 muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2001 Jun 22;276(25):22883-91.
- Li D, Belusa R, Nowicki S, Aperia A. Arachidonic acid metabolic pathways regulating activity of renal Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase are age dependent .Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2000 May;278(5):F823-9.
- Li D, Sweeney G, Wang Q, Klip A. Participation of PI3K and atypical PKC in Na+-K+-pump stimulation by IGF-I in VSMC. Am J Physiol. 1999 Jun;276(6 Pt 2):H2109-16.
Dr. Li’s clinical research interests include developing new lab tests by HPLC/UPLC and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry.
- Laboratory based teaching