I am originally from Flin Flon, Manitoba but grew up in Vancouver. After medical school at UBC I interned through Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I practised family medicine and non-specialty oncology in NS and BC for about 5 years before starting residency training. After my general pathology residency I trained and practised for a short time in pediatric pathology before returning to NS, specifically Cape Breton, as a general pathologist. After moving to Halifax I joined an academic AP practice with cardiac pathology interest. I returned to the west coast in 2009 and have been at St. Paul’s since. In addition to general AP I support the cardiac pathology service; as well, I am the site coordinator for the UBC residency training program and participate on the royal college AP examination committee.
- Fellowship: BC’s Children’s and Women’s Hospital, Pediatric Pathology
• American Board of Pathology, subspecialty qualification Pediatric Pathology, 1999
- Residency: University of BC, General Pathology
• Fellowship of the RCPS, General Pathology, 1997
- Internship: Dalhousie University (rotating), 1985-86
- Medical School: University of BC, MD, 1985
- Binder RK, Schäfer U, Kuck KH, Wood DA, Moss R, Leipsic J, Toggweiler S, Freeman M, Ostry AJ, Frerker C, Willson AB, Webb JG., Transcatheter aortic valve replacement with a new self-expanding transcatheter heart valve and motorized delivery system. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Mar;6(3):301-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jcin.2013.01.129.
- Akbari E, Philpott CM, Ostry AJ, Clark A, Javer AR. A double-blind randomised controlled trial of gloved versus ungloved merocel middle meatal spacers for endoscopic sinus surgery.Rhinology. 2012 Sep;50(3):306-10. doi:10.4193/Rhino11.215.
- Fabian Nietlispach , John G. Webb, Jian Ye, Anson Cheung, Samuel V. Lichtenstein, Ronald G. Carere, Ronen Gurvitch, Christopher Thompson, Avi J. Ostry, Lise Matzke, Michael Allard, Pathology of Transcatheter Valve Therapy, JACC Cardiovascular Interventions, 2012 May;5(5):582-90. doi: 10.1016/j.jcin.2012.03.012.
- Chang, Eun Hae; Alandejani, Talal; Akbari, Elaheh; Ostry, Avi; Javer, Amin. A Double-Blinded Randomized Controlled Trial of Medicated versus Non-Medicated Merocel Sponges form Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (Poliquin), Journal of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Vol 40, No S1 (February), 2011: pp S14–S19.
- Jassal, D.S., Chiasson, M., Rajda, M., Ostry, A., Legare, J.F., Isolated Pulmonic Valve Endocarditis, Canadian Journal of Cardiology, March 15 2005, Volume 21, Number 4: 365-366.
- Cardiovascular pathology
- Breast pathology
- Cardiovascular pathology
- AP Residency training