Dr. Garg is the Program Medical Director of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology at Fraser Health and Cooperation and Engagement office in the Department of Pathology Medicine of the University of British Columbia. He is also the Medical Director of Fraser Health’s South Asian Health Institute and Special Advisor to the Dean of Health Sciences of British Columbia Institute of Technology on India.
Throughout his career, Dr. Garg has found time to volunteer in several capacities serving to build stronger ties with India. In 2006, the Government of BC appointed him as chair of India Marketing Advisory Group under Asia Pacific Trade Council, an advisory Committee to the Premier of British Columbia. A report was released in January 2007 and the recommendations supported the province’s blueprint for trade policy with India. He also co-chaired the Simon Fraser University President’s Advisory Committee on India (2006-2010). To further promote stronger links between Canada and India, Arun conceptualized and co-chaired the Canada India Network Initiative (CINI2010) on Cardiovascular Health and founded the Canada India Network Society (www.thecins.org) to build strong economic, trade, educational and cultural links between Canada and India. He is also a founding member of the Canadian Physicians with Interest in South Asia (PISA) of BC (1986) and Canadian Association of Physicians of Indian Heritage (2007).
Dr. Garg has received many awards for his work including in 2011 the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC honoured him with their award of excellence; in the BC Medical Association bestowed on Dr. Garg its inaugural Dr. Don Rix Leadership award, their highest recognition and award; and in June 2014, the Canadian Association of Physicians of Indian Heritage honoured Dr. Garg with a lifetime-achievement award.
- BSc, Agra University, India, Biology. 1962
- MSc, Agra University, India, Organic Chemistry. 1964
- MSc, University of Saskatchewan, Biochemistry. 1968
- PhD, University of Saskatchewan, Biochemistry. 1970
- MD, University of British Columbia. 1977
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC). 1980
Awards and Recognition
Don Rix Gold Medal Leadership Award,British Columbia Medical Association Awarded. 2011
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: A call for Increased Awareness in the Asian Indian Population: A review article Sophia Wong and Arun K garg Austin J Clin Path 1,(20) 2014, p9.
- Relationship of Sodium and Magnesium intakes to hypertension proven by 24 hour urinalysis in a South Indian population : Natesh Chidambaram,S Sethpathy,N Saravanan,Mari Mori,Yukio Yamori,Arun K Garg, Arun Chockalingam ;The J of Clinical Hypertension DOI 10.1111/jch.12361. 2014
- Evaluating a Diabetes Self Management Support Peer Lead Training Program For the English and Punjabi Speaking South Asian Community in Vancouver, T. S. Tang, P. S. Sohal, A. K. Garg, Ahmad Al-Saraf, Chiman Chow; Diabetes Medicine D0110:1111/DMC 12179, July 2013.
- Ahmad Al-Saraf, Chiman Chow, Arun K. Garg, Care Report; Bisalbuminemia Detected by Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Clinical Biochemistry, 43 (2013) 534.
- The Determination of Urinary Free and Conjugated Cortisol using UPLC-MS/MS; Dong Sheng Ming, John Heathcote, Arun Garg; Bioanalysis (2011) 3 (3), 301-312.
- Clinical Biochemistry of Feto-Placental Unit
- Endocrine/Metabolic Investigation
- Laboratory Utilization Protocols
- Public Policy Development on Health Care
- Technology Evaluation, Utilization Management; Point of care Testing
- Overseas the BC Bio / Royal Columbian Hospital Rotations