Andrew Churg is Professor of Pathology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC and a pathologist at Vancouver General Hospital. He obtained his PhD and MD from the University of Chicago, and did a fellowship in lung pathology with Charles Carrington at Stanford University.
Dr. Churg’s interests include the diagnosis of pulmonary disease, especially occupational lung disease, mesothelioma, and interstitial lung disease. His research lab works on models of cigarette smoke-induced chronic obstructive lung disease. He is the author of close to 400 journal articles, chapters, and books in these areas, including the AFIP Fascicle: Tumors of the Serosal Membranes, 4th Series, and Thurlbeck’s Pathology of the Lung, 3rd Edition.
- AB, Columbia University, NY, Chemistry. 1967
- PhD, University of Chicago, Pathology. 1971
- MD, University of Chicago, Medicine. 1973
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Pulmonary Pathology, Stanford University. 1977-1978
- Internship and Residency, Pathology, University of Chicago. 1973-1977
- Pathology of occupational lung disease: diagnosis and mechanisms
- Cardiovascular & Pulmonary disease
- Wright JL, Zhou S, Preobrazhenska O, Marshall C, Sin DD, Laher I, Golbidi S, Churg AM. Statin Reverses Smoke-induced Pulmonary Hypertension and Prevents Emphysema but Not Airway Remodeling. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan 1;183(1):50-8.
- Wright JL, Churg A. Animal models of cigarette smoke-induced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2010 Dec;4(6):723-34.
- Churg A, Wright JL, Tazelaar HD. Acute exacerbations of fibrotic interstitial lung disease. Histopathology. 2010 Sep 21. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2559.2010.03650.x.
- Tazelaar HD, Wright JL, Churg A. Desquamative interstitial pneumonia. Histopathology. 2010 Sep 21. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2559.2010.03649.x.
- Wright JL, Tazelaar HD, Churg A. Fibrosis with emphysema. Histopathology. 2010 Sep 21. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2559.2010.03648.x.
- Churg A, Müller NL, Wright JL. Respiratory bronchiolitis/interstitial lung disease: fibrosis, pulmonary function, and evolving concepts. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Jan;134(1):27-32. Review.
- López-Boado YS, Li JU, Clayton CL, Wright JL, Churg A. Modification of the rat airway explant transcriptome by cigarette smoke. Inhal Toxicol. 2010 Feb;22(3):234-44.
- Churg A, Zhou S, Wang X, Wang R, Wright JL. The role of interleukin-1beta in murine cigarette smoke-induced emphysema and small airway remodeling. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009 Apr;40(4):482-90.
- Churg A, Zhou S, Preobrazhenska O, Tai H, Wang R, Wright JL. Expression of profibrotic mediators in small airways versus parenchyma after cigarette smoke exposure. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009 Mar;40(3):268-76.
- Wright JL, Cosio M, Churg A. Animal models of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008 Jul;295(1):L1-15.
- Wright JL, Churg A. Short-term exposure to cigarette smoke induces endothelial dysfunction in small intrapulmonary arteries: analysis using guinea pig precision cut lung slices. J Appl Physiol. 2008 May;104(5):1462-9.
- Wright JL, Churg A. Animal models of COPD: Barriers, successes, and challenges. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Oct;21(5):696-8.
- Churg A, Cosio M, Wright JL. Mechanisms of cigarette smoke-induced COPD: insights from animal models. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008 Apr;294(4):L612-31.
- Churg A, Müller NL, Wright JL: RBILD: Fibrosis, pulmonary function, and evolving concepts. Arch Path Lab Med; 2010: 134:27-32.
- Lopez-Boado YS, Li JU, Clayton C, Wright JL, Churg A: Modification of the rat airway transcriptome by cigarette smoke. Inhal Tox 2010; 22:234-244.
- Roggli VR, Gibbs AR, Attanoos R, Churg A, Popper, Cagle P, Corrin B, Franks TJ, Galateau-Salle F, Galvin J, Hasleton PS, Henderson DW, Honma K. Pathology of asbestosis–update of the diagnostic criteria. Arch Path Lab Med 2010; 134: 462-480.
- Churg A, Wright JL, Tazelaar HD: Acute exacerbation of fibrotic interstitial lung disease. Histopathology 2011; 58: 525-530.
- Wright JL, Tazelaar HD, Churg A: Fibrosis and emphysema. Histopathology 2011; 58: 517-524.
- Tazelaar HD, Wright JL, Churg A: Desquamative interstitial pneumonia. Histopathology 2011; 58: 509-516.
- Wright JL, Zhou S, Preobrazhenska O, Marshall C, Sin DD, Laher I, Golbidi S, Churg, A: Statin reverses smoke-induced pulmonary hypertension and prevents emphysema but not airway remodeling. Amer J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183:50-58.
- Wright JL, Churg A: Animal models of cigarette smoke-induced COPD. Expert Rev Pulm Med, 2010; 4:723-734.
- Churg A, Cagle P, Colby TV, Corson JM, Gibbs AR, Hammar S, Ordonez N, Roggli VL, Tazelaar HD, Travis W, Wick M: The fake fat phenomenon in organizing pleuritis: a source of confusion with desmoplastic malignant mesothelioma. Am J Surg Pathol 2011; 35:1823-1829.
- Churg A, Sin DD, Wright JL: Everything causes emphysema: Are Animal Models of Cigarette Smoke-Induced COPD Any Use? Am J Respir Cell Molec Biol 2011; 45:1111-1115.
- Stevens T, Ekholm K, Granse M, Lindahl M, Kozma V, Jungar C, Ottosson T, Falk-Hakansson H, Churg A, Wright JL, Lal H, Sanfridson A. AZD9668: pharmacological characterisation of a novel oral inhibitor of neutrophil elastase. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2011; 339:313-320.
- Churg A, Zhou S, Wright JL: Matrix metalloproteases in emphysema. Eur Respir J 2012; 39: 197-209.
- Chapman E, Leipsic J, Satkunam N, Churg A: Alveolar proteinosis as a reaction to fetanyl patch smoke. Chest, in press, 2012; 141: 1321-1323.
- Churg A, Marshall CV, Sin DD, Bolton S, Zhou S, Thain K, Cadogan EB, Maltby J, Soars MG, Mallinder PR, Wright JL: Late intervention with a myeloperoxidase inhibitor stops progression of experimental COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012;185:34-43.
- Yoon H, Li Y, Man SF, Tashkin D, Wise RA, Connett JE, Anthonisen NA, Churg A, Wright JL, Sin DD. The complex relationship of serum adiponectin to COPD outcomes. Chest 2012, in press.
- Churg A, Galateau-Salle F. The Separation of Benign and Malignant Mesothelial Proliferations: Update 2012. Arch Path Lab Med, in press 2012.
- Chapman E, Gown A, Mazziotta R, Churg A. Pulmonary Hyalinizing Granuloma with Associated Elevation in Serum and Tissue IgG4 Occurring in a Patient with a History of Sarcoidosis. Am J Surg Path 2012; 36:774-778.
- Mohammad T, Garratt J, Torlakovic E, Gilks B, Churg A: Utility of a CEA, CD15, Calrtinin, and CK5/6 panel for distinguishing between mesotheliomas and pulmonary adenocarcinomas in clinical practice. Am J Surg Pathol, in press.