I have worked as a Medical Microbiologist for Interior Health Authority since completing my residency training in 2014. Although I’m located at Kelowna General Hospital (KGH), I work in a regional program, providing clinical oversight to Microbiology laboratories at Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital in Trail, BC and East Kootenay Regional Hospital in Cranbrook, BC as well.
- MD, University of British Columbia. 2009
- BSc(Pharm) University of British Columbia. 2005
- Church D, et al. Development and Validation of a Pneumocystis jiroveci Real-time PCR Assay for Diagnosis of Pneumocystis Pneumonia (PCP). Accepted Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol.
- Hogan C, Wilmer A, .. et al. Melioidosis in Trinidad and Tobago. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2015 21(5):902-904.
- Wilmer A, Romney MG, Gustafson R, et al. Shigella flexneri Serotype 1 Infections in Men who Have Sex with Men in Vancouver, Canada. HIV Medicine 2015 16(3):168-75.
- Wilmer A, Lloyd-Smith E, Romney MG et al. Reduction in community-onset methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus rates in an urban Canadian hospital setting. Epidemiology and Infection 2013 28:1-5.
- Wilmer A, Lloyd-Smith E, Leung V et al. PCR assay to detect Clostridium difficile tcdC variants is Valuable in Characterizing Hospital Journal of Hospital Infection 2013 84:252-255.
- Wilmer A, Slater K, Yip J, Carr N et al. The Role of Leech Water Sampling in Choice of Prophylactic Antibiotics in Medical Leech Therapy. Microsurgery 2013 33(4):301-4.
- Wilmer A, Wright A, Leung V, Imperial M et al. Mucor velutinosus Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection. Clinical Microbiology Newsletter 2013 35(21):176-77.
- Wilmer A, Wong P, Press N, Leung V et al. Oligella urethralis as a Cause of Urosepsis. Clinical Microbiology Newsletter 2013 35(10):84-85.
- Holden R, Wilmer A, Kollman T. Primary Peritonitis due to A Group A Streptococcus in a previously healthy pediatric patient. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2012;23(3):e69-70.
- Wilmer A, Lloyd-Smith E, Romney M et al. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300 is prevalent among Hospital-Onset cases in an urban Canadian setting. ICHE 2011;32(12):1227-1229.
- Wilmer A, Bryce E, Grant J. The role of the third acid-fast bacillus smear in tuberculosis screening for infection control purposes: A controversial topic revisited. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2011;22(1):e1-3.
- Louie K, Wilmer A, Wong H, et al. Medication Error Reporting Systems: A Survey of Canadian Intensive Care Units. Can J Hosp Pharm 2010;63:20-24.
- Wilmer A, Louie K, Dodek P, Wong H et al. Methods for detecting medication errors and adverse drug events in the ICU: A systematic review. Qual Saf Health Care 2010;19:1-9.
I am the site supervisor for the UBC Medical Microbiology training program for rotations at Kelowna General Hospital.