I was born and raised in Montreal. My undergraduate years at university were spent at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY and at McGill University where I received my B.Sc. degree in physics. I received my medical training at Queen’s University and my anatomical pathology training at the University of Toronto. I did a fellowship in renal pathology under Dr. Bill Chase at UBC. I have been on professional staff at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto (1976-1977) , Shaughnessy Hospital (1977-1993), Vancouver General Hospital (1977-) and St. Paul’s Hospital (1993-). I am currently a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at UBC where I have been on the academic faculty since 1977. I have been the head of the provincial renal biopsy service since 1977.
- Rensselaer Polytechnique Inst., Troy, NY, Physics. 1962
- BSc, McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Physics. 1965
- MD, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON. 1969
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Canada. 1974
Awards and Recognition
- Wilma Crockett Award, BC Renal Agency, 2012
- UBC Department of Pathology Award for Excellence in Service. 2005
- Hutton HL, DeMarco ML, Magil AB, Taylor PA. Renal leukocyte chemotactic factor 2 (LECT2) amyloidosis in first nations people in northern British Columbia, Canada: a report of 4 cases. Am J Kidney Dis 64:790-792, 2014.
- Sis B, Bagnasco SM, Cornell LD, Randhawa P, Haas M, Lategan B, Magil AB, Herzenberg AM, Gibson IW,Kuperman M, Sasaki K, Kraus ES, the Banff Working Group. Isolated Endarteritis and Kidney TransplantSurvival: A multicenter collaborative study. J Am Soc Nephrol (accepted for publication). 2014
- Sima CA, Koeners MP, Joles JA, Braam B, Magil AB, Cupples WA. Increased susceptibility to hypertensive renal disease induced by type 1 diabetes mellitus is not modulated by salt intake. Diabetologia 55:2246-2255, 2012.
- Barbour SJ, Beaulieu MC, Zalunardo NY, Magil AB. Proliferative glomerulonephritis with monoclonal IgG deposits secondary to chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Report of two cases. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011 Jun 1. [Epub ahead of print].
- Gershkovich P, Sivak O, Wasan EK, Magil AB, Owen D, Clement JG, Wasan KM. Biodistribution and tissue toxicity of amphotericin B in mice following multiple dose administration of a novel oral lipid-based formulation (iCo-009). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010 Dec;65(12):2610-3.
- Gill JS, Landsberg D, Johnston O, Shapiro RJ, Magil AB, Wu V, Tinckam K, Keown P. Screening for de novo anti-human leukocyte antigen antibodies in nonsensitized kidney transplant recipients does not predict acute rejection. Transplantation. 2010 Jan 27;89(2):178-84.
- Leung N, Buadi FK, Song KW, Magil AB, Cornell LD. A case of bilateral renal arterial thrombosis associated with cryocrystalglobulinemia. NDT plus 3:74-77, 2010.
- Magil AB. Monocytes/macrophages in renal allograft rejection. Transplant Rev (Orlando). 2009 Oct;23(4):199-208. Epub 2009 Jul 28. Review.
- Lau C, Sudbury I, Thomson M, Howard PL, Magil AB, Cupples WA. Salt-resistant blood pressure and salt-sensitive renal autoregulation in chronic streptozotocin diabetes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009 Jun;296(6):R1761-70.
- Chailimpamontree W, Dmitrienko S, Li G, Balshaw R, Magil A, Shapiro RJ, Landsberg D, Gill J, Keown PA; Genome Canada Biomarkers in Transplantation Group. Probability, predictors, and prognosis of posttransplantation glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Apr;20(4):843-51.
- Renal Pathology
- Role of monocytes in glomerular disease and renal transplantation
- Renal allograft pathology
- Lupus glomerulonephritis
- Renal Pathology