I completed my doctoral studies in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at UBC (under the supervision of Dr. David Speert, at the Child and Family Research Institute) and am thrilled to be able to return! My current research focuses on the detection of healthcare-and community-associated infections, emerging pathogens, and drug resistance determinants. In particular, I am interested in evaluating novel molecular- and genomic-based techniques for routine clinical and epidemiological use. I finished one year of a CPEP-accredited fellowship at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center and am currently certified in Clinical Microbiology by the American Board of Medical Microbiology and the Canadian College of Microbiologists. I am also passionate about teaching and science communication, having been involved in many outreach initiatives.
When I’m not in the lab, I can be found on the mountains (hiking or snowboarding depending on the season).
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM) Diplomate. 2016
- Clinical Microbiology Fellow, Laboratory Medicine, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center. 2015
- PhD, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia. 2012
- BSc (Hons), Biology, York University. 2006
- A.N. Jassem, F. Chou, Y. C. Yang, M.A.Croxen, K. Pintar, L. Hoang, N. Prystajecky (2016). Pooled nucleic acid amplification test for screening of stool specimens for shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli. J Clin Micro. Accepted manuscript posted online 24 August 2016,doi:10.1128/JCM.01373-16.
- A.N. Jassem, N. Prystajecky, F. Marra, P. Kibsey, K. Tan, P. Umlandt, L. Janz, S. Champagne, B. Gamage, G.R. Golding, M.R. Mulvey, B. Henry, L. Hoang (2016). Characterization of Clostridium difficile Strains in British Columbia, Canada: A Shift from NAP1 Majority (2008) to Novel Strain Types (2013) in One Region. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 2016:8207418.
- A.F. Lau, G.A. Fahle, M.A. Kemp, A.N. Jassem, J.P. Dekker, K.M. Frank (2015). Clinical Performance of Check-Direct CPE, a Multiplex PCR for Direct Detection of bla(KPC), bla(NDM) and/or bla(VIM), and bla(OXA)-48 from Perirectal Swabs. J Clin Microbiol. 53:3729-37.
- S.A. Loutet, O.M. El-Halfawy, A.N. Jassem, J.M. Sanchez Lopez, A.F. Medarde, D.P. Speert, J.E. Davies, M.A. Valvano (2015). Identification of synergists that potentiate the action of polymyxin B against Burkholderia cenocepacia. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 46(4):376-80.
- A.N. Jassem, C.M. Forbes, D.P. Speert (2014). Investigation of aminoglycoside resistance inducing conditions and a putative AmrAB-OprM efflux system in Burkholderia vietnamiensis. Ann Clin Micro Antimicrob.13:2.
- A.N. Jassem., J.E. Zlosnik, D.A. Henry, R.E. Hancock, R.K. Ernst, D.P. Speert (2011). In vitro susceptibility of Burkholderia vietnamiensis to aminoglycosides. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 55:2256-64.