All Graduate Students receive a mandatory minimum stipend of $20,000 per year from their laboratory funds. Ample funding support is also available through scholarships and awards:
Four Year Fellowship
UBC recently announced a new multi-year program supporting both top Domestic and International students. Eligible students will receive $18,200 a year PLUS tuition. For more information please visit http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/four-year-doctoral-fellowship-4yf.
Graduate Support Initiative (GSI) Awards
All students who qualify for the GSI will receive a minimum of $1000 annually.
- student does not have other major awards. A major award is more than $35,000 annually;
- student is in the first four years of their PhD program , and first two years of their MSc program.
The funding will not be offered to students who:
- receive the Graduate Entrance Scholarship;
- receive full external tuition support;
- Missed Annual Supervisory Committee Meeting by June 14th cut-off, (unless previous permission is given for extension).
- Years 1 & 2 Student must present/have presented at PATH Day;
- Annual Supervisory Committee Meeting documents to be delivered to the committee 4 or more days in advance of meeting.
For information, please visit http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/graduate-support-initiative-gsi-awards.
Graduate Entrance Scholarships
Each incoming student who achieves the minimum academic standard for acceptance into UBC set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, and who does not receive full tuition support, will receive an Entrance Scholarship to cover a portion of their first year tuition fees.
International Partial Tuition Scholarships
The International Partial Tuition Scholarships assist international students with their tuition fees. For information, please visit the Graduate Studies website at http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/international-partial-tuition-scholarship.
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Funding Programs
- Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) Master’s – $17,500 per annum for one year
- Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) Doctoral – $35,000 per annum for up to three years
- Doctoral Research Awards – $22,000 per annum for up to three years
For a comprehensive listing of awards available, both internal and external please visit http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/prospective-students?tid=6 and http://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/current-students?tid=5.
The Bridge Program
The Bridge Program is a scholarship-funding and research training program linking the University of British Columbia’s faculties of medicine, engineering and interdisciplinary studies. Qualifying students can receive $18,000 for one year of the MSc studies or $21,000 for one year of their PhD studies. Please see http://www.bridge.ubc.ca/ for more information.