International Students should check the requirements for their individual country on the Faculty of Graduate Studies Site here: click here to see the Faculty of Graduate Studies’ minimum academic requirements
Master’s Program Requirements (MSc)
Candidates for entry into the MSc program must:
- Possess a Bachelor’s or MD degree with high academic achievements in the necessary background course (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Mathematics etc)
- Achieve at least a B+ average in third and fourth year-level course work, or at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year courses in the A- grade range (at UBC 80% or higher) in the field of intended graduate study.
- Have completed an intermediate course in Biochemistry.
Doctoral Program Requirements (PhD)
There are three different PhD entrance options:
- Option 1 – an Honour’s Bachelor degree (or equivalent) with an overall average in ‘A’ grade range (80% or 3.7 or higher on a scale of 4) and who demonstrate advanced research ability.
- Option 2 – Transfer from a Master’s degree after the first year but before the end of the second year. Student must have 12 credits completed, of which normally 9 credits must be at the 500 level and of first class standing. Clear evidence of research ability or potential must have been provided. Permission from the Graduate Advisor and the student’s committee is also required.
- Option 3 – A Master’s degree or equivalent, with clear evidence of research ability or potential.
BOTH Program Requirements
- Have a firm commitment from a supervisor. We will provide support as needed through this process.
- If you are an international student from a non-English speaking country we require EITHER an online TOEFL test of English with a minimum score of 100 overall, and no less than 20 in each category OR an IELTS test with a minimum overall band score of 7.0, and a minimum score of 6.5 in each component of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test.
- If you are an international student we normally require a Graduate Record Examination with a score in all three categories in the top third percentile (>67%).
Note: Only full time, fully supported students will be accepted into the Department. No part time students will be accepted.